• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As fans of a small-market NBA team...

Chaos

what are we to do? Seeing all the player movement, strong teams getting stronger, talent migrating towards talent-laden teams, meanwhile our Bobcats don't have an allure for a prime FA, unless they were interested in being a part of an upstart team with young (and mostly unproven) players.

As a fan, it's always frustrating to sit through an off-season, albeit an abbreviated and frantic FA period, and watch all the power teams move their chess pieces, meanwhile I sit here and think of how it will be harder for our team to have a shot. I think we may win some games that surprise us - they do every year, and if the balance of power shifts to a few Eastern Conference teams, then the door is open to fill spots 4-8 in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I am not sitting here thinking the Bobcats are playoff caliber this year, but if we are to be the OKC of the east, then it will have to be done through the draft, and that may take a few more years.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm whining, but with an owner like MJ, I had hoped that there would be an attraction to be a part of his team. I guess not.

Here's to extreme patience, and hoping I can find some. :cheers2:

Don't forget there are garbage big market teams... and good small market teams... You have to hope we get a little luck, with some great FO moves (Which has been lacking).

We should thrive to build our team into a strong young competitive team like the Pacers, grizzlies, and thunders were last season and build upon that... Then once you do that you compete with and hope you knock off a big team. But you enjoy it for what we are... I love seeing our guys compete... The bobcats don't have to be title contenders for me to have interest... just constant growth in the right direction... Enjoy watching our young rookies grow this year and see what they can do.

Also I know it goes against his personality, but I wish Jordan would have seen the end game with the labor negotiations and gave the impression that he was with the players some what. THe NBA is very personally in terms of who players want to play for... I think it could have done wonders for FA going forward if MJ would have presented himself as a ally to the players... Just my .02 cents. But now him and Gilbert are probably going to have to try twice as hard to get quality FA in the mean time.

This is why Jordan was arguing for a hard cap and why he's exactly right that the NBA needs one!!! The entire system has gotten out of hand!!! Now, there is talk about Chris Paul going to the Lakers along with Howard? Sheesh!!!

This is why I love the NFL. Now, you can argue that pro football is more exciting than pro basketball. Well, first off, that's personable, but secondly... believe me, if the NFL was run like the NBA and big money could only be had with the Cowboys, Redskins or Raiders, you'd be bitter as a Panthers fan in the NFL. Bank of America stadium would be as empty as Time Warner Arena.

Fortunately, the NFL gives teams like the Packers, and yes even the Panthers, a chance to make a run or two and give their fans something worth cheering for. In the NFL, if you draft well, you can consistently win. And yes, bigger than that, if your top draft pick becomes a big time free agents, you can actually afford to resign them because everybody is playing on an equal surface.

The NBA is such a HUGE mess!!! The system needs to be totally overhauled! The owners spent the last 6-8 months arguing about how the system is flawed for small market teams, and less than two weeks after the strike ended, more high profile players are moving to big markets for big money, and nothing has changed.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

The owners spent the last 6-8 months arguing about how the system is flawed for small market teams, and less than two weeks after the strike ended, more high profile players are moving to big markets for big money, and nothing has changed.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

The owners are geniuses. Much smarter apparently than the fans. All that complaining about players salaries ruining the game and how badly they want a "Green Bay type team in our league" worked like a charm. :rofl: Instead of shitting on the players so much the fans should've shitted on the owners and management who STILL continue to show their incompetence. Dont be shocked when the teams and franchises who sucked before the lockout continue to suck and make bad decisions after the lockout. Nothing's changed, except how much max money players can make. Which was the goal of the league all along.

I won't lie it sucks. Knowing that any big time free agent will never come to Charlotte. Knowing we'll have to be absolutely flawless in the draft to field a competitive team, which isn't something I'm confident we can do.

The only chance we have IMO is if we win the #1 lotto pick and strike gold with a super star talent to carry the team.

Oh well. At least we got UNC :D

I want to do what San Antonio did, draft some key players, and bring in talent that can help those players. They built something very special there, and I always admired that organization.

True, and also keep this in mind - San Antonio, Memphis, OKC, and in the older days, Sacramento. None of these cities have anything else going on (sports wise) besides their NBA franchise, so they have a great atmosphere at every game (ala the Hornets of the early 90's).

For small-market NBA success, it definitely helps to be the only game in town.

For small-market NBA success, it definitely helps to be the only game in town.

I agree 100%. There is only so much "sports money" to go around. Fans need to decide how and when they want to spend their money. When the Hornets played in Charlotte, without the Panthers in town, it was the ONLY thing to do. The Hornets sold out night-after-night, even when they were terrible. Shinn had such a good thing going and he knew that. It's why he talked so much about wanting to move the Hornets to Oklahoma City, when they were in New Orleans, because he realized how easy it was to market a product, when it's the only product in town.

I just hear a lot of folks talk about how they want to get back to the heyday of pro basketball in Charlotte. They want the "hive to be alive again" (per say) but it isn't going to happen; not anymore. That same feeling and excitement isn't going to be on that same level again.

At least I don't think.

I think San Antonio is a great model to base a small market team after; when you look at successful small market organizations. Still, it's the ONLY show in town. Plus, teams like the Thunder and Spurs have lucked out, in finding excellent players like Durant and Duncan who are willing to play for small cities because they enjoy some of the benefits they offer. Most young all-star talent, IMO, seem to want to play in spots like the Big Apple, South beach, Hollywood, etc. It's hard to lure talent to cities like Charlotte or Oklahoma City; but every once in awhile you find a guy like Durant that loves it.

I think the chances of drafting the right guys, that we can build around and keep is going to be difficult...

I think the chances of drafting the right guys, that we can build around and keep is going to be difficult...

Oh don't you worry about that. The next time a superstar player is available in the draft, whatever large market team that is struggling at the time will be sure to "win" the lottery (a la Chicago and Derek Rose).

Unless we get lucky in the Draft, this team will NEVER win a title. The whole Miami super team fiasco has changed the face of the NBA. Now top tier stars will only want to go to teams with other top tier stars... or to big market cities that are rebuilding. Charlotte has no top tier stars and is not a big market city. We're screwed. And no one can argue anymore about Charlotte being a good place to live, as that doesn't matter to an athlete anymore. They need to draft amazing talent (via sucking), let the league hype that talent (like LeBron in Cleveland), hope that talent stays here, and let MJ lure top tier talent to play with the hyped products. But that is nowhere near to happening.

I'm sticking with the Panthers for life, even though I live in Brooklyn now. But I may have to be an asshole and start rooting for the Nets if they get Howard, or the Knicks, lol.

Bottom Line:

Out of Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, and next year's first round pick (assuming high lottery), we will need at least 2 of these guys to be all-star caliber and the future will be bright for a few years (until their contracts are up and they leave to go to big markets). If these picks become busts... we're screwed for at least the next 5 years.

Archived