• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I just bought a home brew kit.

jbland

I have been wanting to do this for some time and never had the money, time or space to do so. But finally I do so I am picking up my kit tomorrow. The first beer I am going to brew is an oatmeal stout.

Do any of you brew your own beer, if so do you have any suggestions?

I cant want to get started.

I am the resident brewmaster goddamnit.

lol, anyways, just make sure you sanitize, don't get lazy.

Are you planning on doing all-grain or extract?

Don't be afraid to play with recipes, even if you buy a kit of ingredients, toy with the recipe and have some fun with it. IMO, brewing is boring when you go by the books.

Always drink beer while making beer, but not too many or you'll get sloppy. I have forgotten to add irish moss twice because of too many beers.

Oh yeah, sanitize everything.

Set alarms with your phone or something, make sure to stay with the times as good as possible.

If you know someone who brews, invite them over, it always helps to have a little experience present.

If doing extract, don't squeeze the grain bag.

Don't boil too hard, nice, controlled rolling boil.

Oh yeah, sanitize.

and have fun. Don't make it a chore, cause sometimes it can be that way.

Oh yeah, clean your poo right after the boil. It is ten times harder to clean when the stuff dries.

I got one for Christmas, I haven't got it out yet though. Y'all keep saying sanitize, will I poison somebody or something?

No, if bacteria gets into the batch, it could stop the fermentation process,and/or it could multiply and spoil the whole batch.

I've never had it happen to me, but it would suck to spend several hours and $$$ on brewing, and a month after fermentation find out that it messed it.

Theres a thread for home brewing. I just bumped it a little earlier. Also, buy "The complete joy of homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. Its great for reference and has some recipes in it.

And bruce does know more than me I think. He does all grain where I just steep a little and then boil extract on top of that.

Theres a thread for home brewing. I just bumped it a little earlier. Also, buy "The complete joy of homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. Its great for reference and has some recipes in it.

And bruce does know more than me I think. He does all grain where I just steep a little and then boil extract on top of that.

haha, nah man I was just talking crap.

You know your stuff.

I need to learn the more advanced stuff, as well as, I just need to brew more, but I am a little cash short at the moment.

Mr beer is very basic but gets you started. My wife bought me the similar coopers kit. If I had gotten myself started I would have bought the true brew or brewers best kits. They are more complete. Regardless of what you get, if you enjoy it you will end up buying more. I now have a few hundred dollars of equipment in addition to what I started with.

Archived