• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Wallace?

Catalyst

There's a lot of talk right now that the Steelers may lose Mike Wallace. He's a RFA, but they only cost a 1st round pick now with the new CBA and the Steelers don't have the cap space to franchise him or sign him long-term.

The talk is that plenty of teams would be willing to part with a 1st round pick in order to land one of the best young WR's in the game.

So... would that include the Panthers? The thought of Mike Wallace in this offense is pretty scary. He could be our long-term replacement for Smitty and while a top-10 pick is a steep price to pay, at least we'd be getting a proven player.

I doubt this happens, but it's worth discussing. There seems to be a very real chance the Steelers lose him and the idea of Cam + Mike Wallace is one that's worth at least considering.

This post has been promoted to an article

Bigger question is: how many of those yards went to Smitty?

Also: how many yards would Cam have passed for without Smitty?

I know nobody wants to think about the day Smitty is no longer here, but it's fast approaching and we are not even close to ready for it. We can't just wait for him to retire and draft a WR in the 1st that year; we need to bring in someone while Smith is still here and give ourselves some breathing room.

I'm not saying Wallace is that guy, but he's worth discussing. Just like Justin Blackmon is worth discussing. Just like Michael Floyd is worth discussing.

All it'll take is for Smitty to suddenly drop off due to age (which happens a lot to older WR's) and our offense suddenly ain't so potent anymore. Our franchise QB suddenly has Greg Olsen, Brandon LaFell, and a 6th rounder coming off a torn ACL to throw to in Gettis. Take Greg Jennings away from the Packers and even Aaron Rodgers' play drops off.

I'm just saying... yeah, we need help on defense badly. But we also have to keep our strengths strong and our offense is not as safe to be as good as it was in 2011 for the long haul until we find a long-term elite replacement for Smith.

Bigger question is: how many of those yards went to Smitty?

Also: how many yards would Cam have passed for without Smitty?

I know nobody wants to think about the day Smitty is no longer here, but it's fast approaching and we are not even close to ready for it. We can't just wait for him to retire and draft a WR in the 1st that year; we need to bring in someone while Smith is still here and give ourselves some breathing room.

1394 yards.. That is about 2700 yards going to other receivers. I will give him another 500 yards to any average receiver if Smitty was not here. So, 3300 yards passing on top of what he did with his running.

Which won't cut it in today's NFL. Those are Rex Grossman numbers.

But nevermind... Smith will just play forever I guess.

Please see my other post. If Smith was not on our team, there would be a receiver that would have got some of those yards. Maybe not all of them.

Also, do you know how WRs become elite? They have good QBs throwing them the ball. For all we know, the next elite WR might already be on our team.

Possibly, yes, but we can't bank on that. You could use that logic for any of our needs. "Oh well, we might have the next Revis or Suh on the practice squad already so we'll just pass on Brockers and/or Kirkpatrick and use our 1st rounder on a guard."

our QB threw for over 4,000 yards last year.............

How can you justify any arguement that the passing game needs help???

especially at the cost you are asking.

The same reasons people thought last year our defense was okay and didnt need help.

I'm not saying I side with the signing, but next year is not last year.

Possibly, yes, but we can't bank on that. You could use that logic for any of our needs. "Oh well, we might have the next Revis or Suh on the practice squad already so we'll just pass on Brockers and/or Kirkpatrick and use our 1st rounder on a guard."

Wallace will probably end up being a top 5 paid receiver. Would never happen anyways..

Archived