• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Playoff Clinch Scenarios - Week 15

rainwater

Here is the best of scenarios:

1. New Orleans loses....love to have the Taints eliminated once again.....CHECK

2. Atlanta beats TB....both are 2 games back and Carolina clinches at least a WC Spot

3. Dallas beats NY Giants....both us and Giants have 3 losses

4. We beat NY Giants next week...we lock up the #1 seed

If this plays out, Week 17 against the Saints is an absolutely meaningless game. Even if we lose and both the Giants and TB win in Week 17, we still win division by 1 game....and Carolina and NY both end up 12-4 with Carolina owning the tiebreaker.

Agreed with all except #3. I want the Giants to beat the Cowboys. The Cowboys have an impressive roster and I don't want them in the playoffs. A Carolina victory the following week would still give the Panthers the inside track to homefield throughout the playoffs. And I hate the Cowboys.

Some of you assume we'll beat the Giants next week. It's not a given! If we allow Dallas and Tampa to keep winning...and we lose to the Giants...we could be royally screwed. Let's just get in the damn tournament first. Tampa could easily win out. We lose to the Giants and they could take the division.

Go Giants, go Falcons.

Thing is that we can clinch homefield advantage even if the Giants win.

A Dallas loss and Denver win at least clinches a playoff spot...first step.

We can then take care of the Giants next week for homefield advantage...second step.

Bucs are going down to Atlanta, so they will both be 2 games back.

actually... a Denver win would be shitty for us, especially since this is gonna be my first game of the season to go to.

Here's the USA Today look at the Panthers scenario this week.

The simplest scenario for a team to clinch a playoff slot this weekend rests with Denver. Win, and the Broncos clinch the AFC West crown. Not so simple is that they have to get that victory at Carolina, where the Panthers are 7-0 this season. Uh, Denver might have to wait. Which leads us to the "favorite" permutation of the week. The Panthers can clinch a playoff berth with the following: An Atlanta loss, plus a Philadelphia loss, plus a Washington loss or tie, plus a Dallas or Carolina strength of victory tiebreaker over Chicago. Got that?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-12-11-the-bell-tolls_N.htm

Archived