• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Larry Brown Speaks On Mj

King Taharqa

As usual Coach Brown comments about his former employer after securing a new one.

image.jpg

It was only a few years ago that Larry Brown had the Bobcats in the playoffs, but Charlotte is poised to become the worst team in league history and the coach had some thoughts Wednesday on what went wrong during his tenure there.

Brown said on "The Dan Patrick Show" that he experienced communication problems with team owner Michael Jordan and then was devastated when he was fired.

"It's one thing for me to get fired, but I have four or five assistants and they're out there not able to work," said the 71-year-old Brown, who was named SMU coach this week. "And it was the worst. And when your hero fires you... I just couldn't believe it. You know I love the guy, think he's brilliant, but he's around people who don't have a clue. And they won't challenge him. And the more you challenge him, the more you get from him.

"I was sick about it. I haven't spoken to him since. I don't like seeing what's going on."

In 2009-10, Brown guided the Bobcats to a 44-38 record and their only playoff appearance. After a slow start the next season, Jordan replaced Brown with Paul Silas. That team finished 34-48.

"I'm sick about it because we made the playoffs the first time they ever made the playoffs. We got rid of Raymond Felton without getting anything back -- one of the greatest kids I ever coached in my life. We got rid of Tyson Chandler who only played 50 game or so for us."

Jordan has been blasted for some of his personnel moves over the years, infamously drafting high schooler Kwame Brown No. 1 when he was in the Wizards front office.

Brown says it's not a lack of knowledge of the game that hurts Jordan.

"When I was able to visit with him and pick his brain, he knows, but he's got people around him that just make you sick," Brown said to Patrick. "And it was not comfortable. It was almost like there were spies wondering what you were doing and getting back to him. I should have spent more time face to face with Michael because I do see the passion. I think he's hurt right now.

"We all make bad decisions. This draft thing is not a perfect science, but when I talk to him about players, you know strengths and weaknesses, what we need to do to be successful, he's right on point. But he has all these other people that will get in the way, and you can't do it like that."

This season's Charlotte team is 7-57, has lost 21 straight and needs to defeat the Magic Wednesday or the Knicks on Thursday to avoid going into the record books as the owner of the league's worst-ever winning percentage. The 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers hold the mark at .110, going 9-73 in that full season, but a 7-59 finish would leave the Bobcats at .106.

"We don't want to be the worst team in NBA history. We know that in the back of our minds going into these next two games," point guard D.J. Augustin said after scoring 15 points in a 101-73 loss at Washington on Monday.

The Bobcats have lost 10 straight on the road and haven't won anywhere since beating Toronto at home March 17. One of Charlotte's rare wins, though, came against Orlando on March 6, a 100-84 home victory that ended a six-game skid in the series.

It was Charlotte's ninth win in 31 games against the Magic.

The Bobcats fell to 2-13 all-time in Orlando with a 96-89 loss Jan. 17 in their lone visit this season.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7853845/larry-brown-wanted-more-michael-jordan-time-charlotte-bobcats

LB may have spoke out of place but the product on the court now is garbage and MJ should get some blame for it. I love MJ and Bobcats. I am a Carolina homer. I love the Panthers, Tarheels, Hurricanes and Bobcats but this team is a complete abomination.

Credit has to be given where credit is due here. Brown and Jordan have always been best pals when times are great. With the Bobcats, that was 1 year. LB took the Cats to the playoffs - and is arguably the best coach this team has ever had. I like Silas a lot, but LB is the better coach, Silas the more likable personality.

When Brown came to town, he brought a breath of fresh air for Panthers/Bobcats fans alike. John Fox never said a word that gave us any clue into what was going on with his administration. Brown opened the door wide open for everyone.

Here is why the LB tenure failed here. Players are much more selfish now than when he was successful. Sure, he won the NBA Championship pretty recently, but that was a team - not a couple of superstars among journeymen. Players getting paid 10+ million per year don't want to be personally called out by their coach. And when they do, they whine to the owner and the owner will 9 times out of 10 want to appease his 25pt/10 rbd players he is paying a lot more money to over his coach.

Unless he is handed another '04 Pistons team that didn't have a superstar, but a lot of great players who kept their ego in check, tell it like it is coaches like LB are done in the NBA. Which is kind of sad.

Mike needs to surround himself with better people. I think he's doing that with the hiring of Cho. I knew there had to be something to Jordan's past offseason failures. He's the greatest player with a brilliant mind for basketball. He had a good draft last year and I expect that to continue

I laughed at this quote: "We got rid of Raymond Felton without getting anything back -- one of the greatest kids I ever coached in my life."

I remember when Larry Brown got here that he wasnt sure Felton was a pure PG. It was one of the reasons he pushed the team to draft DJ over Brook Lopez (thanks Larry). He is a stubborn SOB, but Larry Brown is still one of the best coaches ever. Its too bad, if he was a little better at working with management he could have stuck around and really made his mark somewhere

Wonder why LB didn't throw Bob Johnson under the bus? Being that the hicks in Charlotte consider him Satan Incarnate and the "worst pro sports owner ever". LB limits his criticism on MJ and not the man who hired and paid him handsomely.

Did lb coach under Johnson's full ownership?

I have no prob with what lb said either. The more truth that comes out about how awful the bobcats front office is the better.

Mike needs to surround himself with better people. I think he's doing that with the hiring of Cho. I knew there had to be something to Jordan's past offseason failures. He's the greatest player with a brilliant mind for basketball. He had a good draft last year and I expect that to continue

Totally agree with your first sentence.

Archived