• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TSN blurb on what's next for Peppers

NanceUSMC

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=542964

The most forgotten man in the 2009 offseason has been defensive end Julius Peppers.

No one has shown a serious interest in trading for -- or paying -- the man who likely fancies himself as more valuable than Albert Haynesworth (who received $40 million guaranteed) and Matthew Stafford (who received $41.7 million guaranteed).

Now that the draft has come and gone, the price in trade has, as a practical matter, dropped significantly. If a team signs Peppers, the team's franchise player, to an offer sheet and the Panthers choose not to match it, Carolina would get a first-round pick in 2010 and another one in 2011.

For a team with a front office and/or coaching staff feeling the heat to win now, they essentially can have their first-round pick and trade it, too. Really, why worry about a draft pick to be used in April 2010 if there's a good chance that house will be cleaned in January?

Which is EXACTLY why I'm not worried at all about trading next year's pick to get Brown...

The thing you underlined and bolded is suggesting Hurney and Fox might be gone in January. I say we yank the tender and let him walk.

yeah, I misread that... but, I still view it as a good chance we recoup that pick one way or another before next year's draft... which is how I misread it to be...

If a team signs Peppers, the team's franchise player, to an offer sheet and the Panthers choose not to match it, Carolina would get a first-round pick in 2010 and another one in 2011.

No one was willing to negotiate for Peppers BEFORE the draft, and Carolina probably would have traded Peppers for a 1st and 3rd this year, and he would have been worth it in a mediocre draft (nothing spectacular) this year.

If no one was willing to part with 1 (ONE) 1st round draft pick for JP this year, there is NO WAY anyone will throw 2 mandatory 1st round picks - 2010 AND 2011 - to get him now!

No, what's next for Julius Peppers is that he gets his big butt to Charlotte, signs the Franchise paperwork, then gets ready to play football. Think of this as the last year in a contract - an 'audition' year! If he holds out, he $crews himself. If he plays and just goes through the motions, he $crews himself! No one will want him either way! He has to come to Charlotte, and he has to play...unless he is done with football and/or doesn't care about getting another big payday in his NFL career!

Archived