• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lawn Care

The Saltman

So im trying to save some money throughout my budget. Cutting out my landscaper is one of them. Which means it is time for me to do some work for a change. Only problem is I dont have the first bit of clues on how to keep my yard cut and what i should buy. I know i should be cutting my yard every week in the spring and summer and do it at about a 3 inch length. I know i need to put down weed killer around this time and in around february with pre emergent and fertilizer. After that i dont know jack shiit. What equipment should i get? What type of mower? So and and so forth.

If you already have a well established yard, you shouldn't need much more than a lawn mower and some fertilizer. The weed killer is kind of optional, if you keep it cut on a regular basis.(that poo ain't cheap) I only treat my yard in the spring to knock down the weeds. It doesn't take much to keep a decent looking yard, unless you want it to look like a golf course. If that's the case you're not going to save money.

I don't like Bermuda.

Get a broadcast spreader and not a drop. Drop models can leave you with untreated stripes in your yard if you aren't thorough so the broadcast ones are easier to use. Feed with something once a season. The Scott's website is a good resource to determine what to use.

Mower is really up to you. You don't need a rider for anything less than a half acre. Unless you lazy or just short on time. I have a three option push. Side discharge, mulch or bag. If your lawn is thick you'll want to bag. Mine is troybuilt with Briggs and Stratton engine. The engine matters most but Other features are nice. Key start, self propelled, big rear wheels, etc.

Straight shaft trimmers are my preference on that tool. I've found ones with two piece shafts aren't strong enough to be edgers but the rest of the attachments are good.

Get a blower. Sweeping grass off the driveway sucks and increase the amount of time you spend dramatically.

Good luck.

You should look up your county's ag extension office to see how you need to go about collecting and sending soil samples for analysis. This way you will know for sure which nutrients your soil needs, you wouldn't want to waste money on fertilizer you don't need. This is a free service in that NC provides I'm sure the same applies in Ga.

i'd still aerate and compost once a year for the next several years if your yard is red clay. it will increase the property desirability in the long run. or plant some fast growing shade trees so it kills all the grass and you don't have to mow. plant some hostas and ferns with some mulch and easy maintenance with lowered AC costs

depending on how long you're actually planning to stay there

Archived