• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harris spending his recovery learning the NEW DEFENSIVE SCHEME

rayzor

while people are still believing that nothing is going to change with meeks in as the DC, harris is spending his time recovering from surgery studying the new defensive play book.

Learning Ron Meeks' new defense has been enough to keep safety Chris Harris occupied, even after offseason shoulder surgery shelved him for the Panthers' three-day minicamp earlier this month.

"We're getting a lot of classroom work," he said. "We're just watching film and things of that nature, trying to get ready."

In addition to his rehabilitation work, Harris devotes his Tuesdays and Thursdays to the absorption of Meeks' plans. The system favors swarming and manic pursuit, a philosophy underscored by how Meeks opened minicamp by encouraging his players to energetically dash onto the field from the sideline.

Even when they could only watch as their teammates got the early introduction to the new scheme.

"Guys flying around to the ball -- that was (Meeks') main thing," Harris said. "We're going to make mistakes; we're putting in a new defense. But if you make a mistake, do it full speed. That's one thing he's beat home.

"We're going to run to the football. We're going to gang-tackle. When you run to the football, good things happen."

link

still have in my head this idea of piranhas when i think about what this new defense is going to look like. i'm a bit excited about this.

i have to admit i thought of marshall when he talked about making mistakes but doing it full speed...that should be right up his ally.

still have in my head this idea of piranhas when i think about what this new defense is going to look like. i'm a bit excited about this.

piranhas generally just sit there and float in the water so im not sure that's the visual you were going for

"The system favors swarming and manic pursuit" makes me feel all fuzzy inside...kinda like when you shoot your 1st home invader. :)

lmfao... :cool:

piranhas generally just sit there and float in the water so im not sure that's the visual you were going for

not when there's food in the water...

not when there's food in the water...

yeah they chimp out for like a second then go back to just chilling out.

some species are also just scavengers

ask me stories about working at the georgia aquarium

yeah they chimp out for like a second then go back to just chilling out.

some species are also just scavengers

ask me stories about working at the georgia aquarium

tell me stories about working at the georgia aquarium...

Man that's some crazy floatin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxw1EFcm3vw

that was the image i was going for and how meeks described it...

"We play with so much energy and speed," Meeks said. "When the ball is thrown, we're like piranhas. We're attacking the ball carrier, attacking the receivers, trying to inflict as much pain and play with as much energy as we can. A lot of it is an attitude."
link

That's exactly like the scheme he ran in Chicago, so he'll be ahead of the rest of the D... further cementing the need for him to be Captain this season
good point. one of the thing mentioned in that little article was it would play into his ability to force fumbles. he didn't do much of it last year but he should get right back into it.

a lot of what they did in mini-camp, from what i remember reading, involved trying to strip the ball. you get these guys gang tackling and harris showing them what he learned in chicago about stripping the ball and we are going to be some nice turnovers next year. it couldn't happen at a better time.

Archived