• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Those of you with a truck

Hawk

I'm thinking it's time I buy a truck.

I'm looking for a full size, 4X4 and pretty much I'm open to suggestions and need to do some homework!

What have you got and why would you recommend it....and why would you buy something different if you could??

cheers

First vehicle was a 1990 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat. Bought it for $500 on Craigslist and she was incredible. Oh the virginities that were lost in that beast.

l.jpg

Love the new GMCs though and hear good things. What will you be using it for though? Do you need a big truck or just a half ton?

meant to add that....just a half ton will be plenty for me. I'm working in Calgary...which is a three hour drive from home, so I do that drive every Sunday night or Monday morning and then return Thursday night or Friday...this time of year, that drive can be really shitty. Took me nearly 6 hours last week with all the snow and ice etc.

I also have a 20 foot ski boat and a couple of utility trailers to haul and then for general work around the acreage.

gas mileage will be a concern...minor concern I suppose.

meant to add that....just a half ton will be plenty for me. I'm working in Calgary...which is a three hour drive from home, so I do that drive every Sunday night or Monday morning and then return Thursday night or Friday...this time of year, that drive can be really shitty. Took me nearly 6 hours last week with all the snow and ice etc.

I also have a 20 foot ski boat and a couple of utility trailers to haul and then for general work around the acreage.

gas mileage will be a concern...minor concern I suppose.

Well then in my opinion you really can't go wrong with a Silverado or a Sierra 1500. Gas mileage is going to suck any way you slice it. However I'm pretty sure the hybrids get almost 25 highway which is pretty damn good for a v8.

Guest Super_Freak

I like my dodge. Ten years old runs great good work truck. I loved my chevy Blazer but i gave it to my kid. Had a Ford Ranger 4/4 that i liked as well.

don't get a shitty ford. If you get a Ford, go like '97 or earlier.

I drive a Silverado 2500 extended Cab. It's big and it's bad

gas mileage is horrible though. I spend like $100 to fill it up and it only lasts about a week

Agreed, the last good ford model was the 1997. My buddy used to have a 1997 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel. Thing was beast. After that they are teh fail though.

don't get a shitty ford. If you get a Ford, go like '97 or earlier.

I drive a Silverado 2500 extended Cab. It's big and it's bad

gas mileage is horrible though. I spend like $100 to fill it up and it only lasts about a week

If Fords are shitty, why were they the only American Auto manufacturer to not need a bail out?

Getting back on topic, how new of a truck do you want?

newer than an 88!!!

I'm thinking just a couple of years old. I don't want to pay for brand new so I'm happy to let someone else eat the crap out of the day one drop in value!!!

I'm looking for 2008 and newer I think right now. I haven't done any homework, but so far I really like the newer Dodge 1500's, and I've never really been a Dodge fan

You'll get a thousand different opinions... I know people that love Fords and people that hate them... same for every model.

If I was getting a truck, I'd get a pre-'97 Ford with the straight six, or a 90's model Chevy with a V8.

So, so many choices... crew cab, extended cab, short wheelbase, long wheelbase, etc., etc...

Guest Super_Freak

My brother's chevy is a monster. He goes all out when he buys a truck.

Looks like this but tricked out and lifted. lol i buy my trucks for work, he buys his for looks.

brother.jpg

Archived