• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's the reason Cam is not a captain on this team?

Hotsauce

Smitty is a leader. A leader with some serious personal flaws but he is definitely a leader.

The only thing Gross is a leader of is how to continually get paid as a top contributor when he has really been done in this league for 5 or so seasons now.

the team has no real leader. Sure is a shame when we have such a highly respected, nationally loved stud like Cam Newton on the team who seemingly has no interest in putting a personal stake in this team's identity. So far he is window dressing. He makes a damn pretty window. Prettier than most. But that's it.

Neither is Smitty or Gross, cant think of one WR or OL who became great under their leadership. Both have been losing most of their career. Hard to buy into what guys sell when they dont have the success to back it up.

Smitty and Gross are both viewed as leaders by their team mates. Cam is not. Sorry that your bias and ulterior motives cannot handle that FACT.

Cam had a record setting rookie season and his team mates STILL did not vote him a captain. That SHOULD go a long way in telling everyone that Can has a ton of things to work on...and many if then are on the sideline and in the locker room.

I love the kids potential and do believe that he can reach that potential. But, he had to understand his weaknesses both on and off the field.

And RG3 is a capt?

Honestly Griffin is a much better leader than Cam. He learned the necessary qualities from his parents. Not to say Cam's parents weren't great people, but Griffin's parents were professional leaders of all races and nationalities.

As for RG3 being voted captain... DC is starving for a franchise player and major sports figure. Probably why John Wall was voted captain as a rookie as well.

Cam led offense averaging 13 pts a game....near the bottom if the NFL.

Defense holding teams to 18 pts a game...top 10 in the NFL.

And you still think the defense us the problem...just amazing.

Last Sunday, the defense managed 3 takeaways and a pick 6. The offense did little with that effort. The offense is keeping other teams in the game...plain and simple.

This year's offense is averaging similar pts to the Clausen led dibacle.

I'm not sure that's a fair statement. How many 1st or 2nd year QBs are asked to carry the entire offense - rushing and passing? I think it's really ridiculous how Chud uses him. If the oline isn't good enough to run with hand offs, then make the run game a series of short passes to your RBs. Worked pretty well against Denver for one drive, then he stopped calling those type plays.

Be creative, but don't just put it all on your 2nd year QB.

I've posted this opinion before.

The team was built differently then others. Luck and Rg3's team got rid of the old regime and started new.

Helping their young QB's be able to step in as leaders by default. Cam comes in and his 1st mission.

As dictated by media and the organization is to beg 89 to stay. Not to mention it was during a lockout and Gross was controlling all

team activities. At what point is Cam allowed to take the leadership of the team with Gross, Wharton, Smith, and Beason still holding sway over the team? JMO as the old guard is gone Cam will take the leader's role. Their is a faction in the locker room that will follow Cam. Lafell, Stewie, Bell, and Kali as they become the leaders of their position. Will steer the team under Cam more.

Hopefully the new coaching staff (OC and HC) will trust Cam more and give him more responsibility.

That will help him also.

Smitty and Gross are both viewed as leaders by their team mates. Cam is not. Sorry that your bias and ulterior motives cannot handle that FACT.

Smitty & Gross are "leaders" by default. Its common knowledge Carolina Panthers players bestow the Captain title on the longest tenured players. Its not performance based and its really not a big deal. Tyler Brayton, has been a team captain for us, so that tells me all I need to know about its importance.

Cam had a record setting rookie season and his team mates STILL did not vote him a captain. That SHOULD go a long way in telling everyone that Can has a ton of things to work on...and many if then are on the sideline and in the locker room.

Why dont you mention the fact that Gross even after playing in the Super Bowl for us and not missing any games did not become a team captain until his 5th season in 2008. And I dont remember any one complaining about him not being a captain in his 2nd year. Smitty didnt become a captain until 2010, his 9th season. Think of all he did up to that point, all the hard work and play he put in and his teammates didnt bestow him with the honor until he was past his prime. I'd be willing to bet Cam will be a captain on this team before his 5th season. He's so far ahead of the curve compared to those guys it isnt even funny.

I love the kids potential and do believe that he can reach that potential. But, he had to understand his weaknesses both on and off the field.

Cam will be fine. Its our franchise that I worry about. If they dont put a better supporting cast around this kid and start expecting everyone on the roster to step up, I dont know how this franchise will survive if he leaves in 2 years.

I balk at the idea he's not a leader. Because I saw him take a avg.to below avg. Auburn team to a undefeated championship season.

Fact only 3 players were drafted off that team and we all know that. Neither Lee Ziemba or Fairly are leaders.

Fact his coach at Auburn is 2 years from being a national champion to unemployed.

Fact the team has fallen apart since he left. The rb was kicked out of school. None of his wr (at Auburn) will make it in the league. They went from Number 1 to unranked after he left.

Point is he took a undisciplined, poorly coach, and undertalented team to a championship. How many of the Qb drafted highly in the last 5 or 10 years can say that?

I balk at the idea he's not a leader. Because I saw him take a avg.to below avg. Auburn team to a undefeated championship season.

Fact only 3 players were drafted off that team and we all know that. Neither Lee Ziemba or Fairly are leaders.

Fact his coach at Auburn is 2 years from being a national champion to unemployed.

Fact the team has fallen apart since he left. The rb was kicked out of school. None of his wr (at Auburn) will make it in the league. They went from Number 1 to unranked after he left.

Point is he took a undisciplined, poorly coach, and undertalented team to a championship. How many of the Qb drafted highly in the last 5 or 10 years can say that?

doesn't make him a leader of men.

The Pros is not the same dynamic as college.

Archived