• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second City Mock 2.0

Catalyst

Once again, I'm going to assume Rivera stays for 2013 at least and that the staff is more or less in tact.

1st: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri - I've pretty well latched onto this guy as my favorite player that will realistically be available at our pick. We'll be picking 14th and there's a very decent chance Hankins is gone by this point and, TBH, I like Richardson better anyway. Put Richardson at DT with Hardy and Johnson on the edge and we can play a tackling dummy at the other DT spot and still have a killer pass rush.

Other Options I Like:

Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

Terrence Williams, WR, Baylor

Keenan Allen, WR, California

Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

Trade up for Star Lotulelei

2nd: Dallas Thomas, OT/OG, Tennessee - With all the questions along the OL, it makes a lot of sense to take a versatile player like Dallas Thomas. If nothing else we can plug him in at guard and if he's good enough we can play him at tackle.

4th: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina - Certainly no guarantee he'll be there in the 4th, but we see good players drop every year. I feel like he should be projected higher - 2nd round or so - but most sites have him in the 3rd to 5th round range. If we're lucky enough to get him we could be getting a real sleeper prospect at safety, which would be great since we can't seem to find a solution opposite Godfrey.

5th: Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State - He comes with some character concerns - he was either suspended from or quit the team after clashing with the coaching staff - but he was a borderline 1st round prospect at one point who has a ton of talent. It'd be a character risk, but also one we could get a big return on.

7th: T.J. Barnes, DT, Georgia Tech - This is basically a flyer on a guy late in the draft who has some potential. Barnes is massive and has potential to be a solid developmental prospect at nose tackle.

It's not bad, but the only way I would ever want Richardson is if Dwan Edwards left us in free agency (which would be weird of him to do).

Richardsons stock will sky rocket due to his size, potential, and numbers. I think 14 might be too late for him.

Dwan Edwards isn't the long-term solution at the position. Richardson would be. I agree, though, that he could wind up going before 14, but with Star and Hankins both out there it's possible Hankins goes ahead of him, allowing Richardson to fall to us.

Richardson very well could be the long term answer, but with how our defense has progressed, especially our ends and line backers, whoever we have plugged into that spot has had success. So why waste a pick this year on a rotational guy?

From what I see so far from based on where we're picking and who the best players are, I see us going oline.

Fisher and Warmack are the front runners. Gotta keep Cam clean.

I like it. Kinda hope for a kicker in there somewhere, maybe we'll get a comp pick for Connor or someone and grab a kicker with that pick. Richardson is growing on me a bit, though I still would rather Hankins or some other run stuffer. But if there's not a good value, I don't wanna reach just because we need a run stuffer more than a pass rusher DT. You're right, D. Edwards isn't a long term solution and if his replacement (in Richardson) is what the draft value dictates, then it is what it is. First and foremost I want a good value BPA at a major position of need, and in my opinion our major positions of need are DT, OG, S (though the way Campbell and Godfrey have been performing as a pair, it might be a diminishing need), and a future #1 WR. Value won't be there at S anyway, no way any of this class's Safeties are 1st round value so I see our options being BPA of DT, OG and #1 quality WR. Pick best value from that bunch, whether it be Hankins, a falling Star (heh heh), Richardson, Warmack, or one of the WRs.

I like it. Kinda hope for a kicker in there somewhere, maybe we'll get a comp pick for Connor or someone and grab a kicker with that pick. Richardson is growing on me a bit, though I still would rather Hankins or some other run stuffer. But if there's not a good value, I don't wanna reach just because we need a run stuffer more than a pass rusher DT. You're right, D. Edwards isn't a long term solution and if his replacement (in Richardson) is what the draft value dictates, then it is what it is. First and foremost I want a good value BPA at a major position of need, and in my opinion our major positions of need are DT, OG, S (though the way Campbell and Godfrey have been performing as a pair, it might be a diminishing need), and a future #1 WR. Value won't be there at S anyway, no way any of this class's Safeties are 1st round value so I see our options being BPA of DT, OG and #1 quality WR. Pick best value from that bunch, whether it be Hankins, a falling Star (heh heh), Richardson, Warmack, or one of the WRs.

All the needs you just listed, DT/OG/S are all the kinda needs you take care of in free agency or rounds 2-7.

You do not pass up on a franchise LT, especially with how badly our tackles have been and how important our QB is.

I know it's early but Eric Fisher will emerge as the BPA in that situation for us. Just watch.

4th: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina - Certainly no guarantee he'll be there in the 4th, but we see good players drop every year. I feel like he should be projected higher - 2nd round or so - but most sites have him in the 3rd to 5th round range. If we're lucky enough to get him we could be getting a real sleeper prospect at safety, which would be great since we can't seem to find a solution opposite Godfrey.

There are questions about his speed that he can answer at the combine. There are questions about his size as well at 5'10. His body of work and work ethic are top notch however some say he's more natural fit at corner because of said size which could make him drop. I personally like him better at safety because he brings the boom. If we get him he will hurt us with penalties I can promise you. He doesn't hit dirty but he lays receivers and running backs the fug out and the league doesn't allow that anymore. I'll take the penalties for some hard hitting clean football any day of the week though. The league can suck it!

Love the mock btw. Thomas and Swearinger are must haves for me at this point.

i personally want either chance warmack or jake mathews both of those guys are going to be studs and if you look at what new orleans has done, they have built their o line from the inside out and had obvious success. i dont see why we wouldnt take warmach since he is rated as the #6 player overall and could very possibly fall to us at 15.

Archived