• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Oscar Nominations

Dpantherman

All in all the voters did not do the best job this year IMO. Cloud Atlas, Moonrise Kingdom, and The Master were all superior to Lincoln, Life of Pi, and Django Unchained. While Django it got a BP nomination, Leo and Jackson were both snubbed.

I have not seen Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty, or Amour I cannot comment there but I am surprised Begelow missed out on Best Director.

Argo, Beast of Southern Wild, and Les Mis all deserved there BP slots but Affleck got screwed for Director.

The place I feel they did a good job was recognizing Beasts for Picture, Director and Actress, although I wish Dwight Henry had received a Supporting Actor slot.

Zero Dark Thirty is one of the most over hyped movies I've seen. It's not bad, but it's not a best picture. It drags on at many parts and is sometimes all over the place. Their best actress nom was OK though, she was really good in this film, as some other films she's been in (Take Shelter for instance).

I was pretty disappointed that Dark Knight Rises wasn't mentioned anywhere. I know the hate for super hero films, but, this trilogy was different than other super hero films.

I need to watch Lincoln, but I'm not surprised, at this point anything Lewis does is almost guaranteed to be up for noms.

My choices based on what I've seen so far. Director is subject to change after I see two more of those, and actor/supp actress are undecided until I see at least one more from both.

Best Picture

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Silver Linings Playbook

Lincoln

Zero Dark Thirty

Les Miserables

Life of Pi

Amour

Django Unchained

Argo

Best Actor (lead)

Daniel Day Lewis (Lincoln)

Denzel Washington (Flight)

Hugh Jackman (Les Mes)

Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings)

Joaquin Phoenix (The Master)

Best Actress (lead)

Naomi Watts (The Impossible)

Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty)

Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings)

Emmanuelle Riva (Amour)

Quvenzahne Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)

Best Actor (supp)

Christoph Waltz- (Django)

Phillip Seymour Hophman (The Master)

Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook)

Alan Arkin (Argo)

Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)

Best Actress (supp)

Sally Field (Lincoln)

Anne Hatthaway (Les Mes)

Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings)

Helen Hunt (Sessions)

Amy Adams (The Master)

Best Director

David O Russell (Silver Linings)

Ang Lee (Life of Pi)

Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)

Michael Haneke (Amour)

Behn Zeitln (Beast of the Southern Wild)

Day Lewis will win best actor because that's what he does. Lincoln was an ok movie but Lewis was spectacular as always.

The one award im really interested in is supporting actress. I haven't seen all the performances that got the nomination but I've seen Anne and Sally and the were both amazing. Sally Fields is one of the few women who can act with Lewis and she did a hell of a job in the movie. Hathaway was also excellent but Ill admit I love everything she does so im biased. So its hard for me to call that one.

Les Mis - BP (Between ZDT, Les Mis, & Lincoln)

Spielberg for Lincoln - BD (comeback)

Lewis - BA (obvious)

Lawrence - BAss (sleeper win)

Bcin - Life of Pie

Sound Editing - Django

BSA - Waltz (gets his second)

BSAss - Anne Hathaway (Oscar voters have a thing for her)

Also, Hushpuppy's father from Beasts was snubbed of a supporting actor nom. Did an incredible job in that movie, especially considering he simply ran a bakery before being cast in the film. So much power and emotion, thought he was incredible.

Absolutely.

Archived