• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The league's only black OC makes it to the Super Bowl....

King Taharqa

I didn't answer because I don't know...I've not been involved with the hiring or interviewing of coaches. In my personal opinion, the Rooney Rule potentially eliminates some candidates because they do not fall into the target group that the rule is applying to.

Quotas = discrimination

Hawk why doesnt the field reflect the front office and coaching staffs? Why arent the majority of NFL players white? And why isnt it considered discrimination?

never once did I say I agreed with any of that sir. I have no idea. I'm sure there's owners that belong in the good ole boys club that have strong roots back to the day of racism, sure. At the same time though, who says black coaches would be any better than white? you make a statement earlier on that basically implies that only a black coach might understand and get the most out of his black quarterback and a black OC might have a better offence for the same reason. How do you know these things and is this not racism as well?

never once did I say I agreed with any of that sir. I have no idea. I'm sure there's owners that belong in the good ole boys club that have strong roots back to the day of racism, sure. At the same time though, who says black coaches would be any better than white?

Who's to say they are worse? We don't know unless they are given an opportunity and that is all thats being asked.

you make a statement earlier on that basically implies that only a black coach might understand and get the most out of his black quarterback and a black OC might have a better offence for the same reason. How do you know these things and is this not racism as well?

A black Qbs experience differs from that of white QBs on this level. So having someone who's been there, who has experience dealing with the things black QBs deal with would aid GREATLY. You don't think being a mentee of HOF QB Warren Moon didnt help Cam be better prepared to be the Panthers QB? You think Warren Moon didnt share his experiences of being a black QB in the NFL with Cam? Having someone you can relate to who's been there and has experience always helps. This is something the white QBs have enjoyed since the game begin.

I didn't say they would be worse...not in the least...but it seems you are putting alot of faith in them being better.

and of course Warren Moon would have helped Cam...but I don't think any differently than he would have helped any other quarterback under the same circumstances.

I don't really think people differentiate based on other people's skin color as much as you think they do and on this, you and I will never agree and that's totally ok.

80% of the league is black and the vast majority of coaches are white. That is a problem and everyone should at least be able to agree on that fact....unless you feel that blacks simply lack what it takes to be coaches. Even if black former players were for some reason less inclined to pursue opportunities in coaching, there should still be more black coaches. This is a problem that needs to be fixed.

well Hoplomachus...nobody has yet to prove to me that it is actually a problem!

is there any fact out there that proves black coaches are better? if I'm running the organization, I want the best damn person in the position, regardless of color. All I've heard is that potentially the entire NFL, every owner and every general manager is a racist and that's why there are no black coaches, and I personally think that's a little tough to believe.

My point about the lack of black QB coaches and OCs is it speaks to the problem that people don't feel blacks are capable of leading on the offensive side of the ball.

I can see that being a pereception, so I'm with you so far.

And having more would help those QBs transition. It might also help coaches learn how to use these QBs properly, because its seemed like they are just now starting to learn how. Having someone who might've been in the same situation before or maybe can relate to them more would help. I feel alot of these OCs and QB coaches "stick with what they know" and who they are most comfortable with which isnt always whats best for the game of football. There's a plethora of black DCs and position coaches and if you talk to the players, some of those coaches have helped them tremendously grow and get better at their respective positions. Not having that on the offensive side of the ball explains to me why people felt reluctant or at least questioned could a black person "grasp" offense.[/

This is where I'm not sure I'm with you. Are you saying that any coach with an offensive background that happens to be african american would be a better coach than a white one? Even if their background is say, as an offensive lineman or a running back? A lot of the better QB coaches to me are guys who have played the position, hence why a guy like Jim Harbaugh has succeeded with both white and black QBs. At the same time if you're saying you need black position coaches to get the most out of black players, I think that would sell short what minority coaches could do with white QBs. We'll find out this fall when Pep Hamilton gets to work with Andrew Luck.

As more minority QBs comes through the game (both at the collegiate and the pro level) the pendulum will end up swinging the other way is my opininon. As to people's perception of QBs, a lot of it has to do with media hype about "smarts". I know you're not a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck fan, so you know what I mean by that.

This is where I'm not sure I'm with you. Are you saying that any coach with an offensive background that happens to be african american would be a better coach than a white one?

Not necessarily, but having more coaches who just might have the experience of being a black QB in the NFL before would be more beneficial to players who play that position. Because that experience is different and black QBs are asked to do different things, having a coach or OC with that experience would help.

Even if their background is say, as an offensive lineman or a running back? A lot of the better QB coaches to me are guys who have played the position, hence why a guy like Jim Harbaugh has succeeded with both white and black QBs. At the same time if you're saying you need black position coaches to get the most out of black players, I think that would sell short what minority coaches could do with white QBs. We'll find out this fall when Pep Hamilton gets to work with Andrew Luck.

As more minority QBs comes through the game (both at the collegiate and the pro level) the pendulum will end up swinging the other way is my opininon. As to people's perception of QBs, a lot of it has to do with media hype about "smarts". I know you're not a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck fan, so you know what I mean by that.

Interesting thing about Luck & Manning. Both are hailed for their "smarts" and "genius" because they are 2nd generation players who's fathers both played in the NFL. Archie Manning was a pro bowl QB, Oliver Luck is also a former NFL QB, former GM and long time NFL exec. So again, my point having someone you can relate to who's been there and experienced what you experience is invaluable and sure does make things a lot easier. I dont think Andrew or Peyton would be the players they are or have the "status" they do had both their dads worked for UPS and Costco growing up and not been former QBs and NFL associates.

"smarts" and "genius"...

why in quotations?

It's so funny that the most racist person on this board is the one who spends his day telling everyone how racist they are.

You call people, who disagree with you, hicks and rednecks yet say that people are racist for using the word thug (which i agree with). Just shows you're a pathetic hypocrite. You have yet to address Bob Johnson's well documented hiring practices but that's because it's different for you. It doesn't make you feel victimized and you aren't smart enough to see that it actually supports your "Racism is still prominent" argument, just not in the way you want it to.

It's so funny that the most racist person on this board is the one who spends his day telling everyone how racist they are.

Hey Zod, admins, I thought posts like this got you a 1 week ban. Or is that only if you are black? All this to deflect from the topic at hand. Sports Digest had a great article on this yesterday.

20121223_pjc_aq3_201.0_standard_352.0.jpg

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Jim Caldwell enjoys his job as offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens, and he's quite good at it.

Before taking over in early December Caldwell had never held the position at any level - yet the Ravens' attack has flourished under his direction. Quarterback Joe Flacco has looked sharp, the play-calling has been unpredictable and Baltimore has scored 90 points in three playoff games to earn a berth in the Super Bowl.

Caldwell's success prompted head coach John Harbaugh to ask him to retain the post in 2013. Caldwell appreciates the opportunity, but has no intention of making ''Offensive Coordinator, Baltimore Ravens'' the last line on his resume.

The 58-year-old Caldwell wants to be a head coach. He did it in Indianapolis from 2009-11, and is itching for another crack at the top job in his profession.

''At some point in time, if the Lord wills it, I'd love to be able to do it again,'' Caldwell said Friday. ''But it may not happen. Everybody in our profession is looking for an opportunity to run their own program, and I'm no different than anybody else in that regard.''

Caldwell might have gotten the chance to at least interview for an opening if he wasn't so busy helping the Ravens earn a date with San Francisco in the Super Bowl next Sunday.

''I had a couple of GMs tell me, 'If it weren't for your guys' success in the playoffs and continuing to play, then he would have been someone we would have interviewed,'' Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. ''Hopefully next year we're in the same spot, and it will be tough for him to get interviews again. Really, though, I can see him getting that opportunity a year from now.''

Caldwell certainly is a viable candidate for a head coaching job. He took the Colts to the Super Bowl in 2009 and was instrumental in the development of quarterback Peyton Manning. He's also provided the Baltimore offense with a boost after replacing the fired Cam Cameron on Dec. 10.

Some coaches are fiery. Some break clipboards to get a player's attention. Caldwell does none of that.

''Man, he is so humble, laid back,'' Baltimore receiver Jacoby Jones said. ''But he's a smart man. He reads a lot of books, gives you a lot of quotes. He's so diverse.''

The NFL's Rooney Rule was designed to provide diversity among NFL head coaches and GMs, but if Caldwell - an African American with impressive credentials - can't get an interview, then maybe it's time to fix the process.

''I do think that it's something that certainly needs to be revisited, and is going to be revisited,'' Caldwell said. ''I'm not one of the individuals that started that particular drive to do so. There's been a lot of very intelligent men that have looked at this thing and talked about it in depth, so I think that's going to happen.

In the meantime, Caldwell is preparing for the Super Bowl while dozens of other coaches are at home looking forward to next year. So, despite not getting an interview, he has no regrets.

''None whatsoever. I'd certainly rather be right where I am right now, with you asking me this question,'' he said. ''It just doesn't happen that often in your career to be fortunate enough to have this opportunity. I'm thankful. The other things, they'll take care of themselves somewhere down the road.''

Caldwell deserves plenty of credit for Baltimore's surprising run to the Super Bowl. In the six games since he's taken over, the Ravens have averaged 26.2 points and 406.2 yards of offense. During the playoffs, Baltimore has scored touchdowns on eight of 10 trips inside the opponent's 20-yard line.

''What coach Caldwell has done has kept the offense simple and basic,'' running back Ray Rice said. ''He put the game into Joe Flacco's hands, and Joe has done a great job - phenomenal job - of leading us to where we needed to be. We are right here where we want to be right now.''

And maybe, so is Caldwell. For now, anyway. He expressed genuine appreciation and thanks Friday when talking about being asked to return in 2013.

''I'm excited about it. Certainly very honored and humbled as well,'' he said. ''It's a great opportunity for me, in particular working within this organization. I'm looking forward to it, but right now I'm looking forward to this next ball game we've got coming up. That's the most important thing.''

http://sports.yahoo....01891--nfl.html

There are several other articles and comments that have popped up over the week over this subject. All critical of the NFL's "good ole boy" network that rejects diversity and anything that isnt white. It seems the "this only matters to King Taharqa" crowd was wrong.

BS thread.

Stigma stuff won't cut it in the NFL any longer. Black QB's, Both coaches in a Super Bowl were black. At some point, you will have to take the chip off your shoulder and not see "everything" through your stigma glasses. At some point, producing, winning and losing will have an effect on your job and ability to get one.

Not many guys in the NFL are long for their positions, no matter the color.

Archived