• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vacation Ideas Needed

Johnny Rockets

So I am looking for some vacation ideas for Memorial weekend. My girl has a condo at Myrtle Beach and we usually go down there but it's so damn crowded with black bike week going on that we are looking to do something different this year.

Was looking at Charleston but fuggin rooms are $300+ a night if we stay in the Historical District and I am not paying that. Then I looked at Savannah which is a bit cheaper but I've never been there and would prefer something beach like. Looking at Tybee Island but I know nothing about it.

Anyone have any advice on some decent places, preferably beach areas with somewhat of a social scene that I might want to look into within a 4 hour drive or so of Charlotte?

It may be too far of a drive for you from Charlotte if you are only doing a weekend trip, but I would look into Ocracoke. Really a hidden gem of NC that most people never consider. It can be quite a trek go get there though, after the drive and ferry ride.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think that would be too far...I've been to Florida 3 times in the last month or so and two of them were driving so I am trying to keep it a short trip under 4 hours. I'm sick of long trips in a car. I've never been to the Outerbanks but plan on going there this fall for a week and am looking forward to it. For this trip I am looking for something that has a bit of a nightlife to it also.

So I am looking for some vacation ideas for Memorial weekend. My girl has a condo at Myrtle Beach and we usually go down there but it's so damn crowded with black bike week going on that we are looking to do something different this year.

Was looking at Charleston but fuggin rooms are $300+ a night if we stay in the Historical District and I am not paying that. Then I looked at Savannah which is a bit cheaper but I've never been there and would prefer something beach like. Looking at Tybee Island but I know nothing about it.

Anyone have any advice on some decent places, preferably beach areas with somewhat of a social scene that I might want to look into within a 4 hour drive or so of Charlotte?

that line about black bike week qualifies your vacation to be discussed in the tinderbox. Delhommey, where you at on this one?

JR, Tybee Island is pretty cool. Beach, plus a row of bars/restaurants along the beach near the pier.

It seemed like it might be a cool little place for a couple days. Lots of beach dive bars and such. Think I am leaning towards going there. I just know nothing about it.

Know anything about this little sh*thole? Looks like it may be in the middlle of everything.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/ocean-plaza-beach-resort.en-us.html?aid=336408;label=tybee-island-KMW9Fu2aGeC5VxnV1wxPVAS22876070516%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap115%3Ap2%3Aac690356%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=28619f6eee2e88dfa78469481f9f3cd2;dcid=1;checkin=2013-05-25;checkout=2013-05-27;srfid=8d4f5d4ab4a5f704fd2421f0fb74c227744321e6X2

that line about black bike week qualifies your vacation to be discussed in the tinderbox. Delhommey, where you at on this one?

LOL...I have been to black bike week 4-5 times in the past several years. It's actually a lot of fun, even took my kids down last year to experience it. We set the chairs up along the street with a cooler full of cocktails while watching the parade of bikes go by all night long. It's just so d*mn crowded that you can't go anywhere all weekend without it taking a couple hours to go 5 miles. Just don't feel like dealing with it this year and want to do something different.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think that would be too far...I've been to Florida 3 times in the last month or so and two of them were driving so I am trying to keep it a short trip under 4 hours. I'm sick of long trips in a car. I've never been to the Outerbanks but plan on going there this fall for a week and am looking forward to it. For this trip I am looking for something that has a bit of a nightlife to it also.

Yea, the Outerbanks and Ocracoke require more than a weekend visit. There are plenty of bars and places with live music on Ocracoke as well. Plus the beaches on Ocracoke are great because they are all federally protected so there are no houses or towering hotels on them...just pure beach for as long as you can see.

If you go further north, I would suggest Duck or Corolla. It's way less crowded than Nags Head and Kitty Hawk, which to me is like the Wal-Mart of the OBX.

LOL...I have been to black bike week 4-5 times in the past several years. It's actually a lot of fun, even took my kids down last year to experience it. We set the chairs up along the street with a cooler full of cocktails while watching the parade of bikes go by all night long. It's just so d*mn crowded that you can't go anywhere all weekend without it taking a couple hours to go 5 miles. Just don't feel like dealing with it this year and want to do something different.

they actually considered shutting it down cause of that recently. ems nearly non-responsive due to the traffic.

Either of the bike weeks are ridiculous down there... that with the beach traffic, it's crazy. I like going to Myrtle about once or twice a year since it's only an hour from here, but I try and avoid it May-Sept.

We went down there last June for a conference I had and it was crazy. Conversely we went down there two weeks ago to goof and see the Deftones at HOB and it was very nice.

I personally find the mountains to be more fun than most in the summertime... of course I live at the beach so that's not a big deal like it is for you Charlotte folk.

Archived