• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting Danny Morrison anecdote

SgtJoo

There are several fans that would have made better decisions than the Panthers FO, and I would consider Panthro one of them. Appeal to authority only matters if the authority has legitimate expertise. It is laughable to say the Panthers FO over the last 16 years have any expertise.

How much authority does being a guy on a message board give you?

Irony is that part of the trouble this franchise is in is because they let a sportswriter run the whole show.

But we think they should listen to fan opinions...yeah :wacko:

A ) It didn't mean anything relevant to the discussion topic.

B ) If you also played at the pro level, seeing as Jerry did. Buying a team and running a team aren't the same.

I'd add that your getting personal tells me you know you're losing :)

A) Yes it did. You said someone giving suggestions on my job was out of line then said you've had it happen to you. I merely said that I get paid to give my opinion I'm your industry yet I don't do your job.

B ) it's obvious they aren't the same. He's only done one of those successfully....if success is wins

Not personal. Just giving examples. I will say it is good to see you actually have a steadfast opinion on something vs the usual mr scot responses that teeter on wishy washy

A) Yes it did. You said someone giving suggestions on my job was out of line then said you've had it happen to you. I merely said that I get paid to give my opinion I'm your industry yet I don't do your job.

B ) it's obvious they aren't the same. He's only done one of those successfully....if success is wins

Not personal. Just giving examples. I will say it is good to see you actually have a steadfast opinion on something vs the usual mr scot responses that teeter on wishy washy

Hey, if you're interested our ex-GM is an expert on onomatopoeia, attribution, verification, and crony journalism.

So if I watch the President long enough, I'm qualified to do his job?

Cool :)

Now, now. Don't go putting words in my mouth.

The point is, if someone studied the President and his predecessors for many hours each year and for many years, you might be able to spot when they are fuging up, i.e. Watergate.

No one on here is stupid enough (at least I don't think so) to believe they are qualified to be an NFL coach or GM. But we very well may be able to tell when they are screwing up based on seeing their performance vs their peers.

It's not a difficult concept.  :cool:

A ) What I talked about was just a personal anecdote. But even accepting the premise that someone in a related industry can offer advice, fan isn't a 'related industry'.

B ) The team did make it to a Super Bowl within its first ten years, did they not? Let's not pretend this team has never succeeded. What they've failed at is doing it consistently.

Bottom Line: Even the worst front office in the league still has people with loads of experience scouting, evaluating, etc. Even the worst coach still has enough success at or near the pro level to get a head coaching job. And even the best of both will still make mistakes that will make people wonder what the hell they were thinking.

But even at their worst, they don't need advice from the smartest fan on his best day.

Yes, the gap is that big.

Now, now. Don't go putting words in my mouth.

The point is, if someone studied the President and his predecessors for many hours each year and for many years, you might be able to spot when they are fuging up, i.e. Watergate.

No one on here is stupid enough (at least I don't think so) to believe they are qualified to be an NFL coach or GM. But we very well may be able to tell when they are screwing up based on seeing their performance vs their peers.

It's not a difficult concept. :cool:

See above.

I've watched enough baseball to be able to tell a bad player from a good player.

Doesn't mean anyone should ask me to help them scout prospects.

See above.

I've watched enough baseball to be able to tell a bad player from a good player.

Doesn't mean anyone should ask me to help them scout prospects.

Again, you missed my point. 

You can tell a good baseball (and I'm sure football) player from a bad one. If a hypothetical team continues to accept the poor performance, perhaps because he doesn't cost much or because he's the owner's son-in-law, your criticism of that decision is entirely valid.

I don't believe anyone is saying that the team should be run based on public opinion. However, there have been plenty of examples of fan and media opinion being more to the mark than a coach's or GM's.

We should also accept the fact that pro sports are entertainment. If JR knows that 90% of his paying customers think Rivera should go, he might want to start thinking about it.

Again, you missed my point. 

You can tell a good baseball (and I'm sure football) player from a bad one. If a hypothetical team continues to accept the poor performance, perhaps because he doesn't cost much or because he's the owner's son-in-law, your criticism of that decision is entirely valid.

I don't believe anyone is saying that the team should be run based on public opinion. However, there have been plenty of examples of fan and media opinion being more to the mark than a coach's or GM's.

We should also accept the fact that pro sports are entertainment. If JR knows that 90% of his paying customers think Rivera should go, he might want to start thinking about it.

The vast majority of public opinion when it comes to sports falls under one of two things: hindsight or contrarianism.

It's perfectly valid to criticize a team when things go wrong.  It's another to think that they should listen to our advice (and yes, that is what is being discussed here; take a look back and see).

Are fans occasionally right about decisions when pros are wrong?  Yep.  On a consistent enough basis that a fan could actually do a better job than a professional?  No.  And honestly, I doubt most fans have the first clue how much work is actually involved in building a roster, or a game plan, or managing a game.

Being able to tell when someone makes a mistake doing something doesn't equate to being able to do it better than them.

Archived