• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down the first 1/4 of the season: Offense

Snake

The Panthers have just played our there first 4 games of the year and now stand at 1-3. While the Defense crushes offenses and gives OC nightmares on Saturday nights the Offense is another story. When I went into re-watching the Panthers games I went in as a DC trying to pick apart the Panthers. I wanted to see what they did well and what there weaknesses were. With that I have seen some patters that are concerning but could be corrected. So lets get started with the Big boys up front.

Oline:

To say the offensive line has played bad would be a understatement. The Main problem start with the Guards and ends with the Tackles. While Bell(#77) has been dismal at his job both the Guards have been worse. #75 has given up more pressures than anyone on the line. While Bell may be blamed for most of the sacks #75 has forced Newton to roll to his right side and into the DE. When in a Running play to the right side #75 gets blown up on almost every down to every team. On the other side of the ball #66 engages his man and drives him away from the ball. On the outside of the line #77 struggles with Pass protection and on most plays needs a TE or RB to assist him in blocking. While he does not do well in Pass protection he does engage his man and drive him away on Running plays. In conclusion the Left side of the line is the strongest Pass and Run wise and the Right side is Just bad. I dont see anything getting better is this situation with #66 going to IR and yet another new player on the line. 

Lets move on to the WRs

Everyone know who Smith and Olsen are and they are integral to this offense yet its not them who dictate a good showing from the WR corps. With teams dedicating most of there coverage to these 2 guys its left to LaFell and Ginn to get the job done. When LaFell and Ginn are on this offense rolls, When there off it sputters. Carolina needs this year for LaFell and Ginn to become more consistent because when they drop balls and give up on plays this team musters 6 points. When they are on this team puts up 21 or more.

Now lets talk about the QB

While Cam Newton has set some impressive Records over his first two year he has yet to get the Wins out of them. Lets not look at the rush, or the WRs but at the QB and how to stop him. Cam is quick and fast and when under pressure can escape and gain 5 yards easy. He also posses elite arm strength. What he lacks is pocket awareness and ball placement. To beat Cam Newton you have to fool him and pressure him. He will get frustrated and try to force the ball in coverage.  This is how most teams approach Cam and it has worked well when used right. What Cam needs to do to stop this as much of a coaching thing as its a Cam Newtion thing. Cam needs to play his part but not over reach. He needs to rely on his team mates to get open and if they are not then look somewhere else. Something he else needs to do is use his Pump fake more often because LBS watch Cam not the WR. Most teams are so worried about his running they forget about the WR. He needs to trust his WRs and move the LBS out of the way with his eyes. This is another thing that I am shocked that the team has not try to change before. If Cam can get these small things down its sky is the limit.

Now since we have got that out of the way, Lets focus on the OC.

This offense love it or hate it is live or die with the Run. For Shula's play-calling to really Roll it need 3 yards out of its backs on every play. Unfortunately this has not been the case in most weeks and it has cost the Panthers dearly. Most teams have figured Shula's run calls out. He is not going to trick you just follow the FB or TE and thats where the RB will be. Also to add insult to injury most teams LBs storm past the Guards and get tackles for loss. If our team does not have Dwill back there it would be much worse because his vision gets us out of bad situation. If he wants to fix this he needs to use Reverses and trickery on almost every Run play. He needs the LBs to think not react. Almost every time we have run a reverse to Ginn it has been for 5 yards or more but we dont use it much. One thing he needs to change for sure is his predictable play calling. Its RUN RUN PASS,PASS RUN RUN, RUN RUN RUN, or PASS PASS PASS. Nothing tricky about it, its forward and to the point and thats a bad thing. Another thing that I dont get is why he runs clear out routes with no one under. Not a crossing route or a curl, its all go baby. With how bad our line is its just dumfounding as to why he thinks this works on any play. If he wants to make this team go he needs to come out how he did with AZ and run short to intermediate throws for Cam and move faster. This would nullify the rush and blitzes on most plays.

Also his is a few tidbits from the AZ game

The Peterson INT was PI. It was clear he pushed off Smith and thats why the ball looked short. Smith went down the field about 5 yards literally. It was really bad.

I caught Peterson holding Smith on at least 4 plays.

May not seem like much but those little things wins games.

Also I noticed every time we are on the road #77 taps Kalil to snap the ball and its always a pass play. In the second half of the game AZ picked up on this and its why there blitzing was so good. It was tap 1..2.. snap. Once again this coaching staff needs to see whats going on and change it up.

alright now here is boobs

Boobs_ed3926_1996159.jpg

Archived