• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nike takes tapes after collegian jams on LeBron

scpanther22

Haha, that's great. I wonder if it really was a closed pickup game/what ever you want to call it, or if Nike just straight up just took the tapes anyway.

If Nike offered that boy some gear or anything like that then I would say it was a closed practice, because Nike could have been discussing deals with the young college stud, but he cannot receive payment or endorsements until he is out of college. If they did not offer him anything and just saw LBJ get dunked on, it imidiatley became a closed practice so the tape would not get out.

From Parrish on CBSsports.com

CLEVELAND -- Nike spokesperson Derek Kent released a statement Wednesday.

"Nike has been operating basketball camps for the benefit of young athletes for decades and has long-standing policies as to what events are open and closed to media coverage. Unfortunately, for the first time in four years, two journalists did not respect our no videotaping policy at an after-hours pickup game following the LeBron James Skills Academy."

The statement was in response to my Tuesday article about how freelance journalist Ryan Miller had his tape confiscated Monday shortly after Xavier's Jordan Crawford dunked on LeBron James in a pick-up game at the LeBron James Skills Academy. It's a reasonable-enough statement on the surface, I guess. But the problem is that there is no evidence that the policy Kent referenced actually exists.

The policy wasn't in the papers journalists received upon arrival.

The policy wasn't posted inside the media room at the University of Akron.

I searched online; I couldn't find it there, either. But just to make sure I wasn't missing something, I asked a Nike representative late Wednesday for a copy of the policy Kent referenced.

My request was met with a shrug of the shoulders.

I was told no copy could be produced.

• 2 weeks later...

That really wasn't that big of a deal. Lebron came from the side. It wasn't like he Vince Cartered him and took it down the lane with Lebron standing in the middle. Think all the hype ruined it.

Yeah, that is the kinda dunk I was looking for. I wanted to see LeBron get posterized. At first I thought that was just a regular dunk until everybody started yelling.

Archived