• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PC Processor Question

unicar15

I have a question about the processors for a new laptop. We are looking at an AMD Turion X2 RM-75 Dual Core Mobile Processor in a HP compared to an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor in a Toshiba. They are both supposed to be the same speed but I was wondering if anyone knew any dirty little secrets about one or the other?

I have a question about the processors for a new laptop. We are looking at an AMD Turion X2 RM-75 Dual Core Mobile Processor in a HP compared to an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor in a Toshiba. They are both supposed to be the same speed but I was wondering if anyone knew any dirty little secrets about one or the other?

If you really have to ask, it probably doesn't matter.

Mobile procs yeah, but I think AMD is still on top of the high end desktop market.

Not really, AMD has started to try to be the low cost producer rather than the top performer. At least when I built my computer last year AMD couldn't compete with what I could do with the Core 2 Quad and the Core i7 is blowing everything else out of the water now.

Last year I built a new PC and put an AMD Dual Core Phenom Black Edition chip in it. I couldnt be happier. I think that I got good performance for the price. The quad core Intels were very expensive at the time, and really is just overkill for what I do most of the time.

Now dont get me started on my nvidia 8800 gt video card......quite possibly the biggest piece of poo that I have ever used.

Last year I built a new PC and put an AMD Dual Core Phenom Black Edition chip in it. I couldnt be happier. I think that I got good performance for the price. The quad core Intels were very expensive at the time, and really is just overkill for what I do most of the time.

Now dont get me started on my nvidia 8800 gt video card......quite possibly the biggest piece of poo that I have ever used.

Love my 8800 gt and my core 2 quad

AMD for gaming, Intel for daily use.

AMD is better bang for the buck.

Maybe if you're overclocking and don't want to worry as much about frying the chip because it's cheaper. Everything I've heard/read has been that intel simply makes the better chips no matter the application. I used AMD for a long time but the past few years I've been going with intel. You say 'more bang for the buck' but I say 'you get what you pay for'. ;)

Love my 8800 gt and my core 2 quad

Well in theory it should be a bad ass card, but I guess that I have just gotten the short end of the stick, because I have already RMA'ed it and it still crashes all the time. Nvidia's drivers a total poo too. They push out betas and act like they are the final product.

I am switching to ATI as soon as I can afford it.

Well in theory it should be a bad ass card, but I guess that I have just gotten the short end of the stick, because I have already RMA'ed it and it still crashes all the time. Nvidia's drivers a total poo too. They push out betas and act like they are the final product.

I switched from ATI to nvidia and I am never going back

I just don't believe that anyone on this board or anyone that anyone on this board knows could sort out 20 identically specced computers whose only difference was AMD vs Intel chips. Based on nothing other than how well the machines ran a suite of software rannging from productivity to games I dont believe the overwhelming majority of people can percieve the difference.

The current generation of processors has exceeded or ability to differentiate one from the next with anything other than benchmarking software.

So buy what you can most afford...

I possibly could once I gamed on them for awhile. But really, unless you're doing some high end gaming or video applications, your processor shouldn't matter that much.

ATI just takes sooooooo long to release any drivers at all.

Archived