• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

CanadianCat

• 2 weeks later...

If you thought the movie was awesome I suggest you read the books, they're very good and somewhat like cocaine. I sound like the cliche asshole "I read the book and it was MUCH better... oo some delicious cheese and wine!"

The book is always better than the movie. Which is why I don't get all mad when the movie leaves a lot of things out. There are some things you can do in a book that you simply can't do in a movie.

There are some things you can do in a book that you simply can't do in a movie.

That wasn't the case in the 6th book. The war at hogwarts turned into a little battle? WTF, what was even the point of having Draco get the death eaters there if they weren't going to attack the school? This was a missed opportunity just for the entertainment value of a major fight scene alone.

They expanded on the love stories at the price of the through plot line, which until this movie, they were doing a decent job of telling.

There were several things that could have easily been put in the movie. Why did they stop telling Tom Riddle's story?

I didn't mind so much that this movie focused mostly on characters and their development. The next two can't help but be about action and the full history of Tom Riddle.

Plot pacing has to be different in a movie than it is in a novel. A major reveal or exspository point that worked in the books may not work in the same place in the movies. For the most part, I'm happy with how they've handled the movies so far, especially since they aren't going out of their way to explain every little point to fans of the series.

That wasn't the case in the 6th book. The war at hogwarts turned into a little battle? WTF, what was even the point of having Draco get the death eaters there if they weren't going to attack the school? This was a missed opportunity just for the entertainment value of a major fight scene alone.

They expanded on the love stories at the price of the through plot line, which until this movie, they were doing a decent job of telling.

There were several things that could have easily been put in the movie. Why did they stop telling Tom Riddle's story?

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. I still liked it enough to see it twice (or maybe that's because Emma Watson's in it...) but the more I look at it the more I realized they definitely left some stuff out that should have been in. Like Riddle's past, and the battle of Hogwarts.

But, in a novel, you CAN do all the romance crap AND all the memories AND all the battles AND all the trips to Hogsmeade...

I enjoyed it - read the book, but it had been a while. My husband reread it before we went and intended to, but didn't. In the end I was glad I didn't because I didn't nitpick over changes from the book.

I got into a discussion with some people after this and they offered this advice - reread the book after the movie. The more I think about that, the better I think that advice is. Goes for not reading the book in the first place too - last night my husband and I finally saw Angels and Demons. He read it and I didn't (yet) and he kept commenting about things that weren't the same. I told him the advice and he agreed that he would have enjoyed the movie more had he waited.

I've read all of the books multiple times, and I don't go to watch the movies expecting them to be an exact replica of the book, which is impossible. I just try to enjoy the movie. Some parts will be left out, and I realize this going in... I agree that it sucks that the fighting inside of Hogwarts after the Deatheathers get into Hogwarts sucks, but it is what it is

Archived