• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The mobile quarterbacks.

Evengelion

If you've got a true dual threat QB like a Steve Young or a Steve McNair or a John Elway, you can give opposing defenses a truckload of matchup problems. But to be in this category, you MUST be able to do BOTh effectively.

And if you've got a QB that's even MORE of a threat at the ground game then any of the ones you list above could have ever dreamed to be *and* is a very good passing QB at the same time, but you have an OC that lives in fear of taking advantage of that second threat, well...

And if you've got a QB that's even MORE of a threat at the ground game then any of the ones you list above could have ever dreamed to be *and* is a very good passing QB at the same time, but you have an OC that lives in fear of taking advantage of that second threat, well...

Debate on Shula aside, I'll say again what I've said before.

Coaching has absolutely failed a load of these guys.  Cunningham is a prime example at the pro level, but it happens more at the college level than the pro these days.

College coaches get hold of a dynamic athlete that they know can run and that's all they coach him to do.  And you can get away with that at the college level, but if you want them to have a long term NFL future, you need to do more to teach them how to be effective passers.

Few college coaches make that effort.

Truth.

And innovation in NFL coaching (most especially on the offensive side of the ball) lags even that of college coaching.

People say that motivation shouldn't be an issue for guys getting paid to do a job.  How true that is?  Judge for yourself I suppose.  Pretty clear the 'preparation' side has not been up to snuff for many.

And yeah, before anyone says it, I know a college coach's primary job is to win games.  I get that, but it's also a duty of theirs to prepare young men for their future.  On that front, a lot of them are failing.

My opinion on dual threat QBs, is a QB who isn't an elite pocket passer won't be able to carry their team to a Super Bowl, like Peyton did with the Colts. Most dual threat QBs are great and maybe even elite overall, but none right now are elite pocket passers. Most have great defenses to help them out. Obviously I love Cam and his ability to run (and stay healthy) but I think he still has a lot of improvement needed in the passing game before leading a team to a Super Bowl. We could certainly win it, maybe even next year, but that'd be because of the defense not Cam. Russell Wilson may have been the QB of the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl, but in reality the defense won that Super Bowl. If it was a shootout, no dual threat QB in the league right now could stay in the game (except maybe Vick one time out of a hundred, like that Eagles comeback against the Giants a few years ago).

Archived