• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gman's 2014 puzzle begins today

sml1950

Rosters have been frozen from the end of the regular season until the day after the SB. Teams can now cut/waive and sign street FAs. If we don't plan on resigning a player we can release him now and let him get an early start on finding another team before the start of the league season on March 11. You never know what veterans could become available prior to the start of regular FA, it could be interesting over the next week to see what teams do.

Not sure why Godfrey is still on the roster. He should've been cut the minute we were able to let him go. We all know it's gonna happen. Do the guy a solid and give him as long as possible to find the best option out there for him.

Think it suits our cap if he's a June 1st cut! Maybe wrong though. Hope we can snag some good free agents before it all starts in march

I really like DeAngelo, but if there's significant cap space to be gained, he probably does need to go.  We have to start getting out from under these awful RB contracts somehow.

Yep, DWill has been one of my favorite panthers of all time and not just because of his play, but of the two, Dwill's contract is the only one that's really able to be shed. It's time to move on with some young cheap talent and hope that Stewart finds the health fairy over the next couple of years. 

Not sure why Godfrey is still on the roster.  He should've been cut the minute we were able to let him go.  We all know it's gonna happen.  Do the guy a solid and give him as long as possible to find the best option out there for him.

I think he will ultimately get the June 1 cut designation but I do think that even though there are no games on the field there are still games being played in positioning and strategery. Its a dynamic environment so you dont want to tip the hand too soon.  Totally agree with your point but I think we can hold on to him for a while without disrespecting him or limiting his ability to catch on with another team.   

godrey was on radio talking like he was going to remain a panther, but also stating his love for football(hes going to play here or somewhere). i'm sure he understands coming off achillies injury, high cap number, and panthers in cap hell.... well he can either redo his current contract to a prove it 1 million+ deal for 2014, then go form there about more years and money. or get the pink slip. http://espn730.com/page.php?page_id=67

dwill is getting alittle less than 2 mill per year(which is a deal), BUT his cap number is around 5-7 million*ugh. so cutting him is really not benefiting the panthers, cause his cap number doesnt go away. his new contract is setup to end after the 2015 season, then two dummy years at 1.6 million in dead cap space. then he could resign at a cheap rate or retire or sign somewhere else or panthers could give barner a shot during his contract year or dwill becomes new rb coach(like all are going to say)etc etc.

dg job is always working on puzzles, no off days. 

Not sure why Godfrey is still on the roster. He should've been cut the minute we were able to let him go. We all know it's gonna happen. Do the guy a solid and give him as long as possible to find the best option out there for him.

The situation is that if we cut him before June 1st, it saves the same amount. 5.1m immediately is freed up. But, what's holding us up is, we have to wait until the doctors clear him medically, he he could technically file for an injury grievance.

I believe its the 2 million(part of the signing bonus) and not the 5 million base salary, thats saved form a cut. Base is what the team is paying for the upcoming per game check, if cut you dont pay the base, which is a benefit if the player isnt worth the base price tag. its leverage for gms, in my book.  

godfrey is not worth 5 mill base or with 2 signing bonus= 7.1 cap number, which is another number he is not worth.  He signed the contract and it had a LOW base for the the first 2(or 3) years, around 1 million base. Now at this stage its HIGH base and low signing bonus, but its a high cap number. godfrey is getting top 5ish saftey monies.....which is only fair if youre godrey or his agent.

to me godfey is similar to lafell or bell aka fan whipping boys. they think hes the worst saftey in all of football and doesnt deserve to play in the nfl. i think hes average just like lafell or bell, average is better than below average. example- if godfrey was not hurt and getting 2 million per year, then the panthers cut him.......i think 16 teams would put in a claim for him.(same for bell and lafell). hes not top 5 money worth, even pre-injury....... im sure hes knows this, but does he believe it?

lastly mm, lester, and michtell seems to have godfrey-like seasons(in mm's case better), all where paid under 1 million.......lester was 500,000............is godfrey 7 times the player mm is? is godfrey 14 times the player lester is? 

Archived