• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Impact of Jackson on Panthers draft

raleigh-panther

A lot of smoke screens go on this time of year as we all know.

I'm not buying any statements by Rivera about anything regarding receiver or LT.

Not feeling too comfortable abut the human roller skater being moved from RT to LT. 

Sooner or later, the Panthers are going to have to have a quality offense, and they must have someone to stretch the field to keep defenses  from  going  8 in the box on the line of scrimmage.  The run game without Newton was anemic last year and

and no, I don't think the return of the 2 Guards from unknown universities will make that big of a difference.

One thing is certain, rookies are cheaper than Vets right now and I hope for Newton's sake the Panthers do something to help him, even if that involves trading up...the one thing I'm usually totally opposed to doing, but, the current offense scares no one....there aren't likely to be #1 WRs cut either, Jackson is an aberration I would not want, trouble, if not off the field then with his  yearly contract demands.    

As for the two WRs n the practice squad...ask yourself...how many practice squad receivers every amounted to starting WRs?

I suspect the % is very low.

Good post.  I think there is something to the Bell talk, but that does not mean the job is his.  As for the WRs from the PS, I agree--they are competing for the #4/5/6 spots.  We are going to splash at T and WR in the draft, and we are going to hope both are ready to compete.

Here is what I am hoping for:

Our DBs looked better because our front 7 rushed the offensive timing.  Our OL will look better if we have a WR or two getting open.  I am guessing the emphasis is going to be back on the running game, which means the entire right side of the line will be different.  A beast of a run blocker at RG and a solid run blocking--decent pass protecting RT.   Throw in Silatolu at RG, who is good at pulling and blocking in space (screens, etc), and the run game is much better.  Shula needs to utilize his skill set better--more Barner, more screens.  More power running.  With Cam's running ability, you can freeze the LBs if they have to worry about run first then containing Cam second.  Defensive coordinators will have to guess.

Cam then will throw more off play action, and, if all goes as planned, he can get rid of the ball more quickly.  Let's face it--the ONLY time Lafell got open is when he was going against zone and the S was cheating toward Smith.  Smith, at 35, was getting open, but not as feared (deep ball) as in the past.  We were very limited.  We do not have to be that great at WR, but we will be bigger and faster. 

Yes... yes it does?

We did watch the same NFL season right? NFC Least with one team in playoffs and one and done. NFC West with two powerhouses that met in NFC Championship game.

Colts are from a much worse division than the Chiefs, didn't seem to matter much.

Glad you mentioned the NFC West, did it matter that the division was garbage when the Seahawks won it at 7-9 then beat the 11-5 saints in the playoffs?  Did it matter that the Cardinals were the only team above .500 in 2008 when they beat the 12-4 Panthers from a much stronger division on their way to the super bowl?  

The division you come from doesn't win you games in the playoffs, nor does it make you a better/worse team.  Do you discount the 16-0 Patriots because everyone else in that division won a combined 12 games?

Archived