• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

USMNT vs. Nigeria - Jacksonville, Fl. 6:00pm

Altidore looked to be coming back into form. 1st goal visibly helped him with confidence. Bradley and Dempsey combo looked good and I love the attacking style we can get from our wing-backs in Fabian Johnson and Beasley. 

You guys that think Dempsey isn't the most overrated player on the team are crazy. Rewatch the game and tell me one positive thing he did. I can tell you he blew three scoring opportunities for himself and stopped a three on one counter attack by making his run to close to and actually taking the ball away from (I wanna say Bradley) and effectively ending the attack.

I'm concerned about Clint Dempsey. He is the most gifted field player for team USA but he's always wanted to play soccer like an AND1 mix tape. More interested in playing with flair than scoring goals or assists. In England he was often asked to play within a system and I feel like he came home because he couldn't get the freedom he wanted on the pitch. Just watching him against Nigeria. He had fun with his little flick ons and difficult shots. But he was put in some great positions to create for others and instead he took a low % shot himself.

Michael Bradley looked incredible. The only thing that concerns me with Michael is can he be physical? He's so lean. His passing and tactical knowledge was incredible I was so pleased with his performance.

As a team they clearly have weakness but they have some tactical knowledge and quality that past American teams never had. They can win in the run of play. Not just off set pieces.

With all that said they are in the group of death still. The other three teams view them as the gimme game.

You guys that think Dempsey isn't the most overrated player on the team are crazy. Rewatch the game and tell me one positive thing he did. I can tell you he blew three scoring opportunities for himself and stopped a three on one counter attack by making his run to close to and actually taking the ball away from (I wanna say Bradley) and effectively ending the attack.

Who cares about that one friendly? Dude has 37 goals for team USA. I think you have to have SOME sort of skill to get that to happen. But whatever, let's just leave him at home since he sucks. :eyeroll:

Who cares about that one friendly? Dude has 37 goals for team USA. I think you have to have SOME sort of skill to get that to happen. But whatever, let's just leave him at home since he sucks. :eyeroll:

I've watched every us game he's ever played. How many of those goals were tap in's or gimmes? The goal against turkey (I think) is a perfect example of the goals he scores. And if you rewatch that he almost fuged that one up as well. Do you think Dempsey would have a roster spot on any of the teams with legit chances in the cup, much less start for them?

I've watched every us game he's ever played. How many of those goals were tap in's or gimmes? The goal against turkey (I think) is a perfect example of the goals he scores. And if you rewatch that he almost fuged that one up as well. Do you think Dempsey would have a roster spot on any of the teams with legit chances in the cup, much less start for them?

Some of the most accomplished players in football history are known poachers who take those "gimmes" and "tap ins" you're talking about. There is more to football than just amazing dribbles and howlers into the top corner. Thomas Muller is one of the best midfielders in the world because he knows how to get into space and where to be. He will be the first to admit he's not the most physically gifted, but he is a master of space.

The only player on the USMNT roster who could make the roster of a contender is Timmy. So, I'm really not sure what you're accomplishing by saying that.

FFS, are we faulting a striker for being in position to slot away goals? Eleven goals for the national team from 2012 - 2014. Watch them all here. Two are penalties. Four are tap ins from close range/rebounds. Six are created by Dempsey, originate outside the box, and/or otherwise would not qualify as a gimme related to being in position. I agree with you that it is frustrating watching him at times but then again, it's frustrating watching every single American on the field not named Tim Howard or Brad Guzan. Yes, that includes Michael Bradley. He makes a few awful passes each game, badly missing on a cross field or long through ball. But that's part of his role, take those chances. Just like getting front of the net and being in position for rebounds is part of Dempsey's role.

FFS, are we faulting a striker for being in position to slot away goals? Eleven goals for the national team from 2012 - 2014. Watch them all here. Two are penalties. Four are tap ins from close range/rebounds. Six are created by Dempsey, originate outside the box, and/or otherwise would not qualify as a gimme related to being in position. I agree with you that it is frustrating watching him at times but then again, it's frustrating watching every single American on the field not named Tim Howard or Brad Guzan. Yes, that includes Michael Bradley. He makes a few awful passes each game, badly missing on a cross field or long through ball. But that's part of his role, take those chances. Just like getting front of the net and being in position for rebounds is part of Dempsey's role.

But he didn't chip the keeper with a Rabona from midfield!

GOOD LORD.

A goal is a goal in my book.

I dont give a Sh** if Dempsey crosses the ball and the opposing defender ends up with an own goal.... 

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! USA USA USA 

I guess Shaq wasn't any good because most of his baskets were layups and dunks. If he was a good player he would have scored from three point range right?

Dempsey is a very good player with a great eye for goal. There is no such thing as a gimme. Altidore's 1st goal was impressive passing and running. The finish was simple but the play was brilliant. Dempsey is like gambling. You risk the bad defense and selfish play in hopes of a big payoff. Dempsey can surprise defenses. He can make something out of nothing. There is value in that although its feast and famine.

Archived