• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pay Nick Young?!?

Comparing the 2.

Nick 

1. More confident shooter

2.More athletic

3. More of a spot up shooter

4. Will demand less money

Lance

1. Better defender

2. Better facilitator 

3. Great ball handles

4. Younger

young isnt as good as stephenson, but then again thats reflected in how much he's likely to sign for this summer - id expect stephenson to get $10m+ whereas young will probably pick up about $5m. which one would be the better deal? - is lance twice the player than young?

young had free reign to do what he wanted last year, when the lakers wrote off the year early on, im surprised he only averaged 17ppg to be honest. i think PJ will be as good as young within 2 years... i doubt he'll be the complete 2 way player lance is though. 

nick young doesn't strike me as the sort of player that coach clifford would select for his system.

nick young has the superior jumpshot. lance shooting his higher percentage overall has to do with he drives more and comes off of a lot of pick and rolls to do so. nick young is a pure 1 on 1 iso scorer, i never said young was better player but he sure as hell is a better jumpshooter

Woahhh

Lance is clearly the better one on one player, compare your little highlight video of Young to Stephenson please.

Stephenson's ball handling skills are a thing of beauty. One on one, I'd take Stephenson over most players in the NBA.

Young is a jump shooter and he's a decent one, but I'd go with Stephenson who has a more efficient offensive game according to statistics.

nick young has the superior jumpshot. lance shooting his higher percentage overall has to do with he drives more and comes off of a lot of pick and rolls to do so. nick young is a pure 1 on 1 iso scorer, i never said young was better player but he sure as hell is a better jumpshooter

Woahhh

Lance is clearly the better one on one player, compare your little highlight video of Young to Stephenson please.

Stephenson's ball handling skills are a thing of beauty. One on one, I'd take Stephenson over most players in the NBA.

Young is a jump shooter and he's a decent one, but I'd go with Stephenson who has a more efficient offensive game according to statistics.

Young isn't a more confident shooter, Lance is just a smarter player. Why jack up stupid shots when you can get to the rim or set someone else up

Comparing the 2.

Nick

2.More athletic

Lance

1. Better defender

2. Better facilitator

3. Great ball handles

4. Younger

Woahhh

It comes down to price. Stephenson's next contract could be as much as double what Young will get per season. If Stephenson is on offer for $12 million, and Young is on offer a $6 million, who do you take?

Now in our situation I would probably argue Stephenson because we have the cap space to take him on, and he would give us the upgrade at SG that we need. Our line up would only be missing a starting caliber PF - Walker / Stephenson / MKG / ? / Jefferson. At this point we could package (#9) and (#24) and see if we can move up enough to acquire one of the best PFs in the draft (i.e. Vonleh or Gordon), or perhaps draft Embiid and slide Jefferson down to PF. That would leave us with: Walker / Stephenson / MKG / Gordon or Vonleh / Jefferson, or Walker / Stephenson / MKG / Jefferson / Embiid - either line up could be an improvement on last season's team. 

That said, we could go down a scenario in which we sign Nick Young for $6 million, trade for Arron Afflalo, and then re-sign McRoberts on a team friendly deal. That would give us: Walker / Afflalo and Henderson / MKG and Young / McRoberts / Jefferson - that would give us a good rotation and added scoring power at both SG and SF. That way we can add two good players to help the team first mentality that Clifford likes. 

In a head-to-head Stephenson wins. But it comes down to how much you want to pay for the player. Adding Stephenson probably rules out another free agent addition, whereas Young could see another contributor be brought in as well. Is Stephen the piece we are missing in order to contend? Or would adding two good players to upgrade one starting position and give us an off the bench scorer give us enough to contend?

I mean come on we're talking about Stephenson... the guy who set the state high school record for points scored.

We might only be seeing the tip of the iceberg with Lance, he has that superstar potential. All he needs is a place where he can be the guy (i.e. James Harden).

Agreed, I think Stephenson could be an excellent acquisition for the right team. I would like to see us bring him in, because he would slot in nicely next to Kemba, and would give us that upgrade at SG that we need to take that next step. Though he would be part of a 'big three', and not so much the go to guy. 

Comparing the 2.

Nick 

2.More athletic

Lance

1. Better defender

2. Better facilitator 

3. Great ball handles

4. Younger

Thank you. the point i have been trying to make for nick young is offensive firepower, not defense, passing, or handles

Nope. I was all about Nick Young that last year he was with the Wizards, but I definitely have seen enough since that convinces me he isn't worth the money. Just not consistent enough. I don't want him if he's looking for more than 4-5 mil per, because that's all he's worth.

Nope. I was all about Nick Young that last year he was with the Wizards, but I definitely have seen enough since that convinces me he isn't worth the money. Just not consistent enough. I don't want him if he's looking for more than 4-5 mil per, because that's all he's worth.

Maybe thats what he'll get from us, after all he only made 1.1 Million last year, the figures you just said are 4-5 times as much as his salary this year, maybe thats the raise he's talking about in the video i posted. who knows?

i think the thing going against him is there is a surplus of decent SG's, of which he's one. due to there being many on the market, and more coming in this draft, its going to reduce the amount of money teams will offer him, especially when he's a scorer who doesnt provide much else - it seems teams are looking for much more from their 2's now, either it be a lock down defender or secondary facilitator

Archived