• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cards, Clearances, Challenges and Chances. The General Soccer Information Thread

C47

What the fug is soccer?

Srsly though...  Explain what penalties are.  Like is it like hockey being offsides but no "icing the puck"?

Penalties are when an attacker is tackled in the box and the official deems that the Defender didn't get the ball, or the tackle was excessive. Offsides is when your attacker is further up the field then the last line of defense at the moment the ball is played into them, whether through a lob, through ball, cross etc.

Penalties are when an attacker is tackled in the box and the official deems that the Defender didn't get the ball, or the tackle was excessive. Offsides is when your attacker is further up the field then the last line of defense at the moment the ball is played into them, whether through a lob, through ball, cross etc.

Ok so its a penalty if the defense gets beat?  I cant get behind them for a shot on goal?  No wonder you cant score in this game.  Thats worse than the illegal contact rule in football or no hand checking in b-ball.

Ok so its a penalty if the defense gets beat?  I cant get behind them for a shot on goal?  No wonder you cant score in this game.  Thats worse than the illegal contact rule in football or no hand checking in b-ball.

Not a penalty, offsides. You just have to time your runs right. Think of the last line of Defense as the blue line in Hockey. Just like Hockey, if you're past the blue line (last line of defenders) you can pass the ball to teammates who are also past them.

How many "fouls" does a player get before he's ejected or removed?

Depends on how bad the foul is. Sometimes one foul = booked. Other times you can commit 5-6 fouls if they aren't severe without seeing a card. 

Not a penalty, offsides. You just have to time your runs right. Think of the last line of Defense as the blue line in Hockey. Just like Hockey, if you're past the blue line (last line of defenders) you can pass the ball to teammates who are also past them.

I pretty much know that you only get penalty kicks if the penalty happens inside the box.  Are there any exceptions to that?

offside.jpg

In the above picture, the blue team is attacking. When the ball is played forward by a teammate, no "scoring body part" can be beyond the last line of defense for the opposition (not including keeper).

Being even is onside.

If the attacking team is beyond the last line of defense, and the opposing team plays it back to him, he is onside.

If the goalkeeper is further up the pitch than a defender, he becomes the last line of defense, and he is the line.

offside.jpg

In the above picture, the blue team is attacking. When the ball is played forward by a teammate, no "scoring body part" can be beyond the last line of defense for the opposition (not including keeper).

Being even is onside.

If the attacking team is beyond the last line of defense, and the opposing team plays it back to him, he is onside.

If the goalkeeper is further up the pitch than a defender, he becomes the last line of defense, and he is the line.

Pictures definitely would have helped my explanation, but I was too lazy to google. Pie for you.

I pretty much know that you only get penalty kicks if the penalty happens inside the box. Are there any exceptions to that?

Yeah, if a player deliberately passes a ball back to the goal keeper and he picks it up. It's what is called an indirect free kick (in the box) meaning that the ball has to touch another player (either a teammate or opponent) before entering the net.

You only see this at the middle school and some times high school level though.

Edit: I misread the question... you only get a PK if a certain type of foul is committed in the box.

Archived