• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Here is the thing about Belgium v. USA

It really makes me sick every time I see someone brag about the things our great grandparents accomplished in the 1940s. At some point we need to make our own legacy. We sound like idiots making World War II jokes. Calling the Germans Nazis in the lead up to that game was in poor taste too.

I know, internet, it's just a joke, etc. But at some point we have to draw a line between humor and stupidity.

You have no idea how agree i am, my first message was a litle violent..

I was suggesting some ignorant peoples on this forum to look at the US order of battle in 1940..

Belgium are very much like Portugal in that they have amazing individual players and are overall more talented than the US. However, they are underperforming, barely beating the competition in the cake-walk group H. They have yet to be challenged and thus have not needed to play up to their potential. They have played down to the level of competition and that lack of drive and competitive effort is going to hurt them against a true team like the US.

The Yanks have played 3 very difficult matches, outlasting a frenetic Ghana and simply out classing the mopey Portuguese (at least for 44 and 1/2 minutes of the second half). The loss to Germany was a total loss and we were dominated in many phases, but after only 3 days rest coming out of Manaus...it's understandable and we came close to an equalizer.

Belgium played like they felt they were entitled to go through. They have not faced adversity. Their top striker is playing like crap, they lose a starting midfielder to suspension and captain Kompany is injured.

US will be a tough draw for Belgium, a team than can move quickly on the counter and is dangerous on set pieces. But the thing that the Americans have that the Belgians clearly do not is freaking heart. They will not give in and they are a tough physical team that is willing to suffer more than the other team.

I see a 2-1 win that really isn't as close of a match as that scoreline would indicate. Belgium are not ready for this challenge. US are built for it. Look for Bradley to have his best game yet and I look for goals from Johnson and Dempsey.

Now, Argentina...that's a long shot.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

No country in Europe speaks only one language. As for the game, I think we have a decent chance. Despite winning their group, Belgium squeaked by every game and played relatively poor given the talent they have

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived