• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 3 players Hurney traded up for

JJman

Then in that Case we could have been stuck with Gabbert (who a lot of scouts had rated over Cam) Locker or Ponder. So Hurney made a highly questioned choice where he had options at DT a need, CB a need and WR a need and QB'S that were rated higher and gets no credit??

Really??

Of course if it were me, I would have traded down or drafted Dareus with the first pick. (That was my pick at the time)  Yet if I were going QB, Cam most certainly would have been the pick.  I didn't buy into the other guys for one second.  Hurney was desperate to save his job.  I think most GMs would have picked Cam at that spot if they couldn't trade down.  Yet again, I think the pick was mostly JR's pick if it were anyone's.  I don't think Hurney would have made the pick if JR didn't sign off on it.  

I don't think anyone REALLY had Gabbert over Newton. That was just some manufactured media nonsense. It was obvious Cam was the first pick IMO.

Dude I really don't want to look up and post all the scouts who had Gabbert higher then Cam it isn't worth my time.

But let's stop acting like this was a reality at one time.

Specially after the combine where Cam looked horrible.

The Former GM of the Texans said he wouldn't draft Cam in the 1st round. That is a fact. Mcshay and Mayock had Gabbert rated higher then Cam. That's a fact.

If you don't want to give Hurney credit on the Cam pick that's on you. But reality was that it was a high risk high reward pick.

Of course if it were me, I would have traded down or drafted Dareus with the first pick. (That was my pick at the time) Yet if I were going QB, Cam most certainly would have been the pick. I didn't buy into the other guys for one second. Hurney was desperate to save his job. I think most GMs would have picked Cam at that spot if they couldn't trade down. Yet again, I think the pick was mostly JR's pick if it were anyone's. I don't think Hurney would have made the pick if JR didn't sign off on it.

Dude Hurney and RR did all the background checks and scouting. They had to convince JR that Cam was the pick. Remember JR had to have dinner with Cam before he would approve of the draft pick.

Also picking a 1st round QB doesn't save a GM jobs. Most of the time it gets them fired when it doesn't workout.

Dude I really don't want to look up and post all the scouts who had Gabbert higher then Cam it isn't worth my time.

But let's stop acting like this was a reality at one time.

Specially after the combine where Cam looked horrible.

The Former GM of the Texans said he wouldn't draft Cam in the 1st round. That is a fact. Mcshay and Mayock had Gabbert rated higher then Cam. That's a fact.

If you don't want to give Hurney credit on the Cam pick that's on you. But reality was that it was a high risk high reward pick.

Why wouldn't I credit Hurney with the pick? He made it and credit to him for it.

I guess I have too much bias but I remember even then that I was convinced about taking Cam.  Those scouts can be damned they sure proved their worth.  Anyone who needed a QB and decided they didn't want Cam is probably an idiot.

McShay and Mayock are just part of the media.  It served them to rate Gabbert over Cam.  Only a crazy person would have done so otherwise.  I mean did you watch Auburn beat Alabama?

Dude Hurney and RR did all the background checks and scouting. They had to convince JR that Cam was the pick. Remember JR had to have dinner with Cam before he would approve of the draft pick.

Also picking a 1st round QB doesn't save a GM jobs. Most of the time it gets them fired when it doesn't workout.

I think that says more about JR choosing Cam than Hurney choosing him.  If Hurney was so convinced that Cam was the pick, shouldn't he have made the move without consent from JR?  At the very least this shows Hurney was desperate for a quick turnaround, and Cam pretty much had the greatest potential with that.  It just wasn't that hard of a pick to make.

Why wouldn't I credit Hurney with the pick? He made it and credit to him for it.

I guess I have too much bias but I remember even then that I was convinced about taking Cam. Those scouts can be damned they sure proved their worth. Anyone who needed a QB and decided they didn't want Cam is probably an idiot.

McShay and Mayock are just part of the media. It served them to rate Gabbert over Cam. Only a crazy person would have done so otherwise. I mean did you watch Auburn beat Alabama?

There were serious question about Cam going into the draft that made it a risky pick. Beyond the character question. Which we all knew were there.

1. He ran a Mickey mouse college system.

2. He never took snaps from under center.

3. Could he read and run a Nfl playbook.

4. He had a strong arm but did he have a accurate one.

Let's not act like Cam was anointed like Luck coming out.

Also add in the fact that he could have taken other great players like Peterson, Miller, Green or Dareus (all who were less risky picks) and no question would have been asked.

There were serious question about Cam going into the draft that made it a risky pick. Beyond the character question. Which we all knew were there.

1. He ran a Mickey mouse college system.

2. He never took snaps from under center.

3. Could he read and run a Nfl playbook.

4. He had a strong arm but did he have a accurate one.

Let's not act like Cam was anointed like Luck coming out.

Also add in the fact that he could have taken other great players like Peterson, Miller, Green or Dareus (all who were less risky picks) and no question would have been asked.

Just media bias.  All those questions are answered by talking to working with the guy which is a privilege teams had.  The anointment you speak of is just a product of the media showbusiness and is not reality.

If we didn't draft Cam vs anyone else at #1 there would have been a lot of questions.  Especially once he started to have the greatest rookie season of all time.

We'll never agree.  I've been a Cam lover for too long I suppose.  Much love anyway and I do see where you are coming from with your points they are not bad ones.

I think that says more about JR choosing Cam than Hurney choosing him. If Hurney was so convinced that Cam was the pick, shouldn't he have made the move without consent from JR? At the very least this shows Hurney was desperate for a quick turnaround, and Cam pretty much had the greatest potential with that. It just wasn't that hard of a pick to make.

Every Panthers fan knows that JR was still making team decision until he hired Gettelmen. Hurney lost all the power of making decisions when a Fox was fired. RR and Hurney had to run all player moves thru JR.

He had to be convinced that Cam was the choice Thru the scouting work and over the top background work done by Hurney and RR. And it still took a 1 on 1 dinner to convince him. So no Cam wasn't JR idea or 1st choice. Hurney had to push Cam on JR.

Just media bias. All those questions are answered by talking to working with the guy which is a privilege teams had. The anointment you speak of is just a product of the media showbusiness and is not reality.

If we didn't draft Cam vs anyone else at #1 there would have been a lot of questions. Especially once he started to have the greatest rookie season of all time.

We'll never agree. I've been a Cam lover for too long I suppose. Much love anyway and I do see where you are coming from with your points they are not bad ones.

You can call it media or whatever but some of these guys know more about football and scouting then you or I ever will. And Cam wasn't a sure fire can't miss player coming out.

You can call it media or whatever but some of these guys know more about football and scouting then you or I ever will. And Cam wasn't a sure fire can't miss player coming out.

Sure they do, which I mean in all seriousness.  I'll never know as much about football as Mayock has forgotten but his job isn't necessarily to communicate that information to you accurately.

Archived