• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

galaxy alpha

philp

The first iphone I bought was the 3gs, back in 2009 (AT&T in Oklahoma City, OK).  I had no issues with the phone and loved using itunes back then.  I had some issues with AT&T when I was billed while being deployed to Iraq.  My service was supposed to suspended while I was gone.  I decided I didn't like their customer support so I payed the termination fee and went with verizon.  At this time, I think the iphone was exclusive with AT&T.  I got a droid eris (this was a horrible phone btw) and quickly regretted my decision.  I stood pat until the iphone 4 was available with verizon.  I made the change and really enjoyed using the camera and recording mic on the phone.  At that time, it was way better than anything else available.  The phone was easy to jail break and even more customizable.  To this day, I still think the mobile version of garage band was really good.  

Fast forward a few years.  I was changing the fuel filter on my wrangler right before dark.  I pulled the 4 out to get some extra light (seemed like a good idea after having a couple "jeep beers".  Gas leaked on the phone and destroyed the screen.  It was still functional, but the color was ruined.  I decided to try out a decent android galaxy phone, so I got the S3.  I loved this phone.  I fianlly felt that I was able to break away from apple without looking back.  All was right in the world until this past summer when I dropped the phone while riding my bicycle into town.  Even with a case, phone wouldn't survive the fall.  Around the same time, many co-workers were going to pre-paid route.  I was paying nearly $90 a month to verizon and didn't have an ETF to worry about.  I canceled survice and went with virgin mobile.  This turned out to be a very bad decision.  Crappy amazon phone with weak processor, crappy signal (4g lte was nowhere to be found.  Only got 400 minutes, with no free nights and weekends.  

So two days ago I decided that at&t would be my best bet and got the new galaxy alpha.  I like the phone, but it's not perfect.  The screen uses the underwelming super AMOLED screen technology (720p).  It doesn't look terrible on a screen that is 4.7 inches, but it's still noticable.  When paying this much for a phone, I believe screen quality should be a factor.  The phone uses the same processor as the S5 (which is awesome btw) so the bench tests are almost identical.  They use the quad-core snapdragon 801 / 2 GB ram.  

I am considering going back to the store to return it.  Should I have got the S5?  The main difference is the alpha's metal trim casing.  This is a first for samsung.  I feel that this series has great potential, but I'm not convinced that this phone is it.  Maybe I should look at the new Moto x 2nd gen or even going back to the iphone?  Any advice would help.  I have a few more days to decide if I want to keep it.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/galaxy-alpha-review-a-samsung-phone-with-chrome/

I personally don't prefer the AMOLED screens, but that wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me...

My wife just got a 6+ and the screen is awesome, but I don't care for iPhones myself.

I have a Droid Maxx that I got last August ('13) and I still love it.  Battery lasts forever, it's stock Android so it's fast and easy to use.

I personally don't prefer the AMOLED screens, but that wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me...

My wife just got a 6+ and the screen is awesome, but I don't care for iPhones myself.

I have a Droid Maxx that I got last August ('13) and I still love it.  Battery lasts forever, it's stock Android so it's fast and easy to use.

Both operating systems have their good and bad.  I'm not a fan boy of either and have enjoyed both.  Android 4.4.4 is pretty nice, but I think I may be ready for another iphone.  I like to bounce back and forth every few years.  Keeps it fresh.

The iphone 6 reviews are really positive it seems like.

Both operating systems have their good and bad.  I'm not a fan boy of either and have enjoyed both.  Android 4.4.4 is pretty nice, but I think I may be ready for another iphone.  I like to bounce back and forth every few years.  Keeps it fresh.

The iphone 6 reviews are really positive it seems like.

Yeah, my wife seems to really like her new phone... apparently she's been able to almost completely ditch her iPad that she uses for work now that she has a bigger iPhone.

The 6+ is very slightly larger than my Maxx and not quite as large as the new Note4.  I have not seen the 6 other than in the store.

Samsungs tend to rub people one way or another. I'm not a fan.

I'd check out the new moto x and LG g3 before I made a full decision. I have a g2 which I love! Though I really need nova launcher because the stock g2 launcher is terrible. The battery is pretty awesome in my g2 as well.

If you like iOS, then the new iPhones will be great. I'm getting a little elitist about my bezels, and the top and bottom bezels in the new iPhones are too big for me. Honestly I find the new iPhones to be a little funny looking... Cartoonish even.

This is a great time to need a phone! Lots of good options!

I'd wait for The Note 4 or Note Edge. I currently have the Galaxy s5 and it's one of the best phones I've ever had but what bugs me about the Galaxy s5 is that it only has 1.8 GBs of RAM and 12 GBs of storage. The new Notes will at least have 3 GBs of RAM and 32 GBs of storage.

SHIIIIIT. I did not know the new notes would have almost twice the amount of ram as the s5. Whatever either way I love this phone and shouldnt need a new one until they come out with those phones that are holograms. Im serious I could see this phone being mine for another ten years if I dont fug anything up. I also bought a 30 gig sd card so im sitting at almost 50 gigs of memory. Not to mention I got the ****** lifeproof case or whatever best 80 bucks i ever spent my phone is like a work of art now

Still working 12's / 6 das a week. Been to busy to consider taking the alpha back. I decided to keep it. I'm satisfied with it. It's like an s5 alternative, not an upgrade (technically the screen isn't as good but has 32 gigs storage).

Archived