• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where to Start in the Comic World

CarolinaNCSU

Actually just finished Earth's Mightiest Heroes a few weeks back and really liked it. It's part of the reason I started looking back into the animated series and movies.

As far as jumping into the (Marvel) comics, the current goings on isnt too bad, but it isnt currently new people friendly. Marvel doesnt tend to stay that way too long, but theyre on the back stretch of a run theyve been building up fo a couple years. If you wanna get into them, the best you can do is hop in and accept what you dont know (and in it's current state, a lot you probably won't like) and give it a little bit of time. Give it just a short time and youll be all good to go, especially once Marvel starts inevitably bringing the norm for their characters back around come AoU time.

Dont be afraid to try various books either. Dont buy books that bore you because you want to like them. It's a waste of money and will give you a sour taste on the industry as a whole. I say this as someone who just got back into comics a short while back and had to reacclamate myself after a long hiatus.

Oh. And dont buy digital unless youre trying to revisit old stories. In addition to the fact that simply having a book in your hands is cooler and ultimately will be more satisfying in the long run, most comic shops also offer a sweet discount if you open a free of charge pull list box with them.

As far as jumping into the (Marvel) comics, the current goings on isnt too bad, but it isnt currently new people friendly. Marvel doesnt tend to stay that way too long, but theyre on the back stretch of a run theyve been building up fo a couple years. If you wanna get into them, the best you can do is hop in and accept what you dont know (and in it's current state, a lot you probably won't like) and give it a little bit of time. Give it just a short time and youll be all good to go, especially once Marvel starts inevitably bringing the norm for their characters back around come AoU time.

Dont be afraid to try various books either. Dont buy books that bore you because you want to like them. It's a waste of money and will give you a sour taste on the industry as a whole. I say this as someone who just got back into comics a short while back and had to reacclamate myself after a long hiatus.

Oh. And dont buy digital unless youre trying to revisit old stories. In addition to the fact that simply having a book in your hands is cooler and ultimately will be more satisfying in the long run, most comic shops also offer a sweet discount if you open a free of charge pull list box with them.

Everyone tells me I should go digital but I can't do it. I have to have the book in my hand. It just wouldn't feel like a collection otherwise.

By the way, if you have an iPad you can subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, I think it's $10 a month, and it has a HUGE library of older stuff and they put up newer stuff about 5 or 6 months after it hits the shelves.  Can't really go wrong.

I thought about getting this but I found that stuff wasn't complete.  Like back issues, isn't 1-40, they'll have bits of pieces.  Maybe it is better now.

There ARE ways of getting comics on the web and then using ComicViewer or one of those programs though.

I thought about getting this but I found that stuff wasn't complete.  Like back issues, isn't 1-40, they'll have bits of pieces.  Maybe it is better now.

There ARE ways of getting comics on the web and then using ComicViewer or one of those programs though.

heh yea I use both...

Archived