• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Very Early First Two Rounds - 2 OTs?

tailg8or

Well ... I guess it is never too early to start thinking of next year's draft.  With interesting prospects coming out in positions where we have holes, this could be a stellar draft with day 1 starters ... that assumes there are no more DEs on the board for DG to draft. 

Assuming we draft in the top 10, the following could be on the board for rds 1 & 2.  Who do you take?

RD1

OT - Andrus Peat

OT- Cedric Ogbuehi

WR - Amari Cooper

S - Landon Collins

RD2

OT - Ereck Flowers

RB - Melvin Gordon

WR - Rashad Greene

CB - Jalen Collins

S - Kurtis Drummond

IMO ... as much as I would love to see Amari in a Panthers uniform across from KB and Collins would give us a presence we haven't had in years, there is no way we skip on grabbing the top OT available.  Its doubtful that DG finds Gross' replacement in free agency again and he will be run out of town if he doesn't address the position.  Scherff is likely gone so its Peat or Ogbuehi.  Honestly, I haven't done a lot of digging on Cedric yet but I like what I have seen from Peat.  RD1 - Peat

RD 2 is a tough one.  Thinking out loud .... Another OT (especially like Flowers) gives us great competition and likely solves the O-line problem as Chandler can go back to OG and compete with Amini and Turner.  Stewart and Williams days are numbered due to their contracts but we can't spend more money on that position and there are plenty of serviceable RBs.  A quality WR, CB or S would provide immediate help.  Cam needs more weapons.  ....  If we don't pickup a decent RT in free agency, I think we have to double-dip and go OT again ... Flowers. 

DG did it with DTs, do you think we double-dip again with OTs?  I know the best player available lecture ... blah, blah blah.  This year, he takes best player available at one of our many needs.

not sold on ogbuehi, his fellow texas a&m OT's have not looked so well despite being hyped up the top cant miss OT. Feel the system could be making them look good

Yea. I felt the same way the last two years. Joeckel and Matthews are good but thought that they we're make out to be better than the really were. It also didn't hurt to block for Johnny Football when he could make something out of nothing.

Ogbuehi is falling down the board at the moment too. Weak lower body and imo needs some work in run blocking; better pass block.

Scherff will probably be the top OT off the board. However, Id still take Ogbuehi in a heart beat.

If Flowers is fully healthy, I would take him in the 1st (top12-15) in a heart beat!!!!!

He's clearly my top OT at the moment. I've been keeping a close eye on these OTs and I don't know how he's not at least the 2nd rated OT in this class.

I like him more than Peat, Scherff, and Collins. And, I'm not joking one bit. Flowers is a beast in both pass and run block. He's just damn fun to watch. Plus, a much better athlete than those guys. Don't believe me, go put on the tapes.

(1) Ereck Flowers

(2) Cameron Erving

Flowers - Norwell - Kalil - Turner - Erving

I am all about double dipping at OT.  We will still have Olsen and Benjamin will be the same talent with a year of experience so while I would love to get Cam another weapon, I would prefer to make sure he is finally protected.  DB is awful too but you cannot fill everything.  Despite last year's success this was always going to be a multi-year rebuilding process for Gettleman.

I do not think we will be in the top 10, our schedule is too soft and we may still steal the division.  This draft is still perfect for us to get multiple linemen, regardless of round.  Looking ahead, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tampa, New York Jets, Tennessee, Atlanta, St. Louis, Minnesota, Washington, Chicago, New York Giants, Houston, Cleveland, Miami, Kansas City, are all teams that may possibly draft ahead of us.  Nearly ALL have drafted a tackle at the top of the draft recently or have other far bigger needs. 

Archived