• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

#1 Problem on the team

A lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball.

Last night, I saw Tyreke Evans attack the basket and score at will like he was back at Memphis, with a DII guard trying to guard him.  He scored at will.  I noticed also, too many open shots on the perimeter for guys like Evans, Jrue, Anderson and even Gordon, who thankfully was booed to the bench.

Poor weakside defense led to easy baskets right at the basket.  Poor switch offs (Kemba getting switched to guarding Asik) and poor closeouts led to easy New Orleans baskets.

Opponents are shooting 45% from the field, 39% from the 3pt line.  Both of these are in the bottom third of the league.  

The Hornets may be allowing the 5th least amount of PPG, but teams are shooting a very high percentage and its due to too many open looks.

Also, the Hornets seem to be sloppy with the ball, nearly all the time.  Too often, as the offense was going through a play, it seems the point guard can't hold on to the ball and messes up the flow to offense, which leads to rushed shots and poor shot selection.  

I think this team will get it together.  Lance I think will pull it together as well.  Cliff has a plan and I beeeeelieve in Cliff.

Also, FWIW, if you ever thought Charlotte, back in the dreadful bobcat days, was a bad basketball city, just go to a game in New Orleans.  I went last night to the game, and the arena was probably 45% full, and never got loud.  They have a potential MVP, and a solid team that was pretty entertaining to watch and the fans just seem the least bit interested. 

A lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball.

Last night, I saw Tyreke Evans attack the basket and score at will like he was back at Memphis, with a DII guard trying to guard him.  He scored at will.  I noticed also, too many open shots on the perimeter for guys like Evans, Jrue, Anderson and even Gordon, who thankfully was booed to the bench.

Poor weakside defense led to easy baskets right at the basket.  Poor switch offs (Kemba getting switched to guarding Asik) and poor closeouts led to easy New Orleans baskets.

Opponents are shooting 45% from the field, 39% from the 3pt line.  Both of these are in the bottom third of the league.  

The Hornets may be allowing the 5th least amount of PPG, but teams are shooting a very high percentage and its due to too many open looks.

Also, the Hornets seem to be sloppy with the ball, nearly all the time.  Too often, as the offense was going through a play, it seems the point guard can't hold on to the ball and messes up the flow to offense, which leads to rushed shots and poor shot selection.  

I think this team will get it together.  Lance I think will pull it together as well.  Cliff has a plan and I beeeeelieve in Cliff.

Also, FWIW, if you ever thought Charlotte, back in the dreadful bobcat days, was a bad basketball city, just go to a game in New Orleans.  I went last night to the game, and the arena was probably 45% full, and never got loud.  They have a potential MVP, and a solid team that was pretty entertaining to watch and the fans just seem the least bit interested. 

A lot of it has to do with poor switching and defensive communication.  We're not fighting through screens well enough to effectively close out on the shooters.  When you scramble to closeout on a defender you open up their ability to dribble penetrate.  Even with this issue....it's not our biggest problem.

If you can't make shots you can't win.  Right now we seem to be too predictable on offense and we're not setting good screens.  I don't think Zeller is a bad player but we're not going to win if all we're given on offense is 17 footers by Zeller.   We've kind to find some auxiliary offense.  Something other then just force feeding to Al every time down the floor.  In other words we really need Lance to step up and be more then just a facilitator.

I really just don't understand how Cliff expects the second unit to defend the paint when the bigs are Zeller and Max. To me Zeller and Biyombo make sense but Cliff hates Biyombo for some reason. All teams are doing is driving and kicking to open shooters because we cannot defend the paint forcing wings to have to bring help D into the paint.

I really just don't understand how Cliff expects the second unit to defend the paint when the bigs are Zeller and Max. To me Zeller and Biyombo make sense but Cliff hates Biyombo for some reason. All teams are doing is driving and kicking to open shooters because we cannot defend the paint forcing wings to have to bring help D into the paint.

Yeah we're really missing McRoberts right now.  Hopefully Cho pulls off a trade that fixes our front court.  It would have been nice if Vonleh wouldn't have missed TC.

Archived