• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason is already as good if not better than Dan Morgan in his prime...

Zod

i agree 100%. no denying morgan was a huge talent but he couldn't stay healthy and unconcussed for very long in any season. we kept him for far too long.

beason will never agree that he is better than morgan but it would still be true.

But the post by Zod said that Beason is already as good or better than a healthy Morgan. Key word being Healthy there. In a vacuum, if we compare the two players with injuries not being a factor then Morgan runs away with this, IMO.

I agree that Beason is more valuable based on his durability as well, but that isn't pertinant to the discussion when we're talking about who we'd want when they're healthy. It's like saying that Jake Delhomme is better than Tom Brady right now because Tom Brady isn't playing for the Patriots. Well duh, right?

There still hasn't been a linebacker since Morgan that could go sideline to sideline like he could. I haven't seen enough of Patrick Willis to judge but in terms of pure speed and lateral agility, Morgan was in a class by himself. I really think that guy could have extended his career by moving to SS.

But the post by Zod said that Beason is already as good or better than a healthy Morgan. Key word being Healthy there. In a vacuum, if we compare the two players with injuries not being a factor then Morgan runs away with this, IMO.

I agree that Beason is more valuable based on his durability as well, but that isn't pertinant to the discussion when we're talking about who we'd want when they're healthy. It's like saying that Jake Delhomme is better than Tom Brady right now because Tom Brady isn't playing for the Patriots. Well duh, right?

There still hasn't been a linebacker since Morgan that could go sideline to sideline like he could. I haven't seen enough of Patrick Willis to judge but in terms of pure speed and lateral agility, Morgan was in a class by himself. I really think that guy could have extended his career by moving to SS.

agreed! Very few have/had the motor and the smarts/instincts for the ball like Dan did. With health not a factor Dan would have been one of the elites of all time.

pete

I think Beason is more of a playmaker than Morgan was honestly. Morgan would make a lot of tackles, etc in games but you wouldn't really remember any WOW plays. He had all those tackles in the SB, but do you remember anything SPECIAL that he did in that game? IMO truly great players make big plays in games when they are needed. Right off the top of my head, that INT vs GB springs to mind for Beason. I am not at all bagging on Morgan because we will never really know what he COULD have been, but to me it's not much of a contest.

I would take a healthy Morgan (that could stay healthy) over Beason right now. Not taking anything away from Beason because he is a phenominal player but Morgan like some have said had a nose for the ball, he was always in the play and was better in pass coverage. It's a shame he couldn't stay on the field. That being said I am thankful we have Beason who is an incredible talent and is probably top 5 in the NFL at his position. (Oh and he stays healthy and is only going to get better).

Archived