• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'Coaching Carousel' passes the halfway point

Mr. Scot

The Bills were the first, hiring Rex Ryan when he didn't want to wait on the Falcons.

Next came the Jets, who decided not to let Todd Bowles leave town without signing (he was scheduled for a second interview with the Falcons the following day),

Word just a little while ago that the Raiders have given Jack Del Rio his 'dream job'.

San Francisco is so far the only team so far to go in-house, choosing longtime, well respected DL Coach Jim Tomsula as their new HC.

That leaves the Bears, Falcons and Broncos jobs still up in the air.

The Bears are interviewing - and many think they will hire - John Fox, who departed the Broncos via 'mutual agreement'. The Bears search was under the watch of consultant Ernie Accorsi, who tinfoil hat wearers believe helped usher Fox out of Denver by tipping him that he could get the Bears job.

Adam Schefter says the favorite in Atlanta is Dan Quinn, but they also strongly like (and just gave a second interview to) Lions DC Teryl Austin.

And the team with the longest path still ahead of them?  The Broncos, who have expressed interest in Gary Kubiak (who says he's not leaving Baltimore), Rick Dennison, OC Adam Gase, Quinn and Austin.

Looking like one of the trio of Quinn, Gase and Austin will wind up without a chair when the music stops.

Meanwhile, former Bills Coach Doug Marrone, who opted out of his Bills contract thinking he'd get another head coaching job immediately, is now left scrambling for an opening.  Marrone was seen in Jacksonville, apparently inquiring about the Jaguars OC job.

And one last note: The Harbaughs have traded a family member between teams, as Ravens assistant Jay Harbaugh is leaving his uncle John's team in Baltimore to join his father Jim's team in Michigan,

Interesting offseason so far.

If Gase isn't the HC in Denver, it's a decent sign Peyton is done.

I think Elway really wants Kubiak, but if he's serious about not leaving Baltimore, who knows?

Kubiak's officially not under contract, so the Ravens can't block him.

Failing kubiak, they could go after Dennison instead.

Del Rio is reported to want Marc Trestman as his OC.

Word also that the Niners hired Tomsula without ever actually interviewing him.  Apparently they just decided that they didn't want any of the guys they actually did interview.

Also being reported that Vic Fangio won't be retained as 49ers DC.  Wonder where he winds up (In Chicago with Fox, perhaps?)

Earlier today it was being reported that the Niners had settled on Adam Gase, but that was either false or premature (I'll go with false).

Think Gase would fit here? Not asking if I think he'll land here, just could he do good things if he were here.

I like that he's young and that would give Cam some new blood (life/creativity). Other than that, don't know much about him.

Think Gase would fit here? Not asking if I think he'll land here, just could he do good things if he were here.

I like that he's young and that would give Cam some new blood (life/creativity). Other than that, don't know much about him.

Gase is one of those guys that's in kind of an unfortunate position.

Fair or not, people are always gonna ask "Well, how much is really him and how much is Peyton?"

So truthfully, it's kinda hard to say.

Archived