• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Source: Saints having a complete fire sale

RelaxImaPro

fascinating. Lofton was rated the #56 out of 60 qualifying ILBs per PFF (the guy who was #60 was the guy Lofton replaces for the Raiders for 2015). In 2014, Lofton failed to tally a single sack despite rushing the passer 98 times. Lofton had negative grades as a pass rusher, against the run, and in coverage (-12.2 vs run, -4.3 in pass coverage, -5.6 in pass rush). PFF rated Lofton the worst player on the Saints ENTIRE TEAM offense or defense, with a -21.5 grade. The only Saints starters with above the +6.0 grade of LT Armstead were Brees (+32.6), OLB Galette (+20.3) and RT Strief (+10.9)

Not a huge fan of PFF grades. Love them for their stats. Think their grades are as useless as tits on a bull.

But basically, their assessment is pretty close. I don't agree that he was the worst player on the team, however. But missing tackles as a linebacker will get you killed by PFF and Lofton did plenty of that last season. He whiffed quite a bit. And like I said, he doesn't make any plays behind the LOS. He'll rack up the tackles...5 yards down the field.

Only reason I would see him retained if we were in a better cap situation is because we're kind of void of linebacker talent.

Loomis doesn't make the football decisions. Loomis is the money man, basically. He's an accountant by trade. It's what he went to school for. It's what he's done all of his life. It's why he usually gets away with manipulating the cap. He's great with numbers.

Football decisions, I would assume, ultimately go through Sean Payton. Loomis tells him what money would work, Payton does what he sees best.

I don't see either one going anywhere and I wouldn't want them to. Loomis is a good GM and Payton is a great coach. They make a very good team. Part of the reason I want Gayle to win the whole battle with Benson is because Loomis won't work for Rita, and Payton is leaving if Loomis leaves.

They've left some to be desired in some aspects, drafting in particular. Hopefully that changes with the front office changes this offseason. But for the most part have brought stability and a winning environment to NO. Loomis has Bensons full trust, as he runs the Pelicans as well. I don't think you'll see either leave for quite some time.

what about when Tom is gone, even if Gayle takes the reins do you think that will affect the ability of Loomis to flash big signing bonuses or convert future salary to guaranteed money in restructures as a way to massage the cap? I mean, I don't know if anybody knows for sure, but Benson is still doing quite well financially as far as I can tell, and he's still able to facilitate his money man being aggressive with the cap, which as we know requires cash on hand. good god this is theoretical. that's the offseason for you.

I've spent a good bit of time in NOLA...definitely know my way around. if I get a chance to make it back down there, I'll call my brothers father in-law and get him to give up his 4 tickets he has 20 rows up on the 50 and we'll do it up right. he designed and built Zephyr Stadium and gives us his ticks when we come down. my brother is one lucky guy. if I can swing it I'll send you a message pod'nuh

Wow. Sounds like a good gig lol.

That sounds good though! I'd definitely have to treat to Dagos and Pat Os do that!

what about when Tom is gone, even if Gayle takes the reins do you think that will affect the ability of Loomis to flash big signing bonuses or convert future salary to guaranteed money in restructures as a way to massage the cap? I mean, I don't know if anybody knows for sure, but Benson is still doing quite well financially as far as I can tell, and he's still able to facilitate his money man being aggressive with the cap, which as we know requires cash on hand. good god this is theoretical. that's the offseason for you.

The thing about Gayle is, she won't get in the middle of all of it lol. She'll own them, but leave the running of the team to those who know what they're doing. At least that's the way it seems as an outsider.

Rita, I feel, would run them into the ground. No one in the organization likes her. Loomis and Payton won't work for her. If she takes over, I could definitely see a move for the Saints down the line.

As far as money goes, Tom has been wise enough that he will still be making a poo ton of money, long after he's gone. He's a shrewd business man who usually gets what he wants. Between the car dealerships, the land around the Supersome that he owns, the deals with the state, and the two teams, whoever he leaves it to will be in great shape.

Jimmy grew up a Saints fan. 

Lol you really believe that?  With Jimmy Graham growing up in North Carolina... where you're pretty much either a Cowboys, Steelers, Redskins, Packers, or Panthers fan... that he grew up as a Saints fan... during an era where they were garbage and didn't even have fans outside of Louisiana?

Come on now.

Wow. Sounds like a good gig lol.

That sounds good though! I'd definitely have to treat to Dagos and Pat Os do that!

you bet. would be a great time.

about Graham...I'm 95% positive Graham suffered a cuncussion from a hit by Thomas Davis in The dome this past season. I've heard talk that he's taken a few with no reports....

After the Tampa game and the shoulder injury, Jimmy couldn't pick his arms above his head without pain. Kind of takes away his advantage. You saw him draw up and protect his shoulder a lot. In the red zone, the fades would get thrown back shoulder into his gut, instead of in the air, because he couldn't lift his arms. He contemplated surgery this offseason.

Jimmy will put up 1,000 and 10-12 TDs this year. Guys a beast. I'll miss him.

Seattle fans are thinking more like 800-900. I like Graham but he is soft as a baby's butt as a football player. Vacarro shows up as a rookie and smacked him around like a bitch in his first camp. Graham never got over his "don't foul" basketball mentality. Yes he's great because he has such physical dominance over pretty much all other players but he could have been so much greater if he wasn't such a puss. He's on the decline now at age 29. Good news is those tough SEA defenders will beat and rag on him so much in practice that hopefully they make him pull his skirt up, grab his balls, and be a man. If so he might have good value in his past-his-prime years like Witten and Gonzales gave their teams as past-their-prime TEs

Lol you really believe that? With Jimmy Graham growing up in North Carolina... where you're pretty much either a Cowboys, Steelers, Redskins, Packers, or Panthers fan... that he grew up as a Saints fan... during an era where they were garbage and didn't even have fans outside of Louisiana?

Come on now.

Yes, I really believe that.

Here's the link:

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Jimmy-Graham-Talks-About-Joining-the-Saints/b0cdd6dc-ce45-46ef-a0e0-613e684a9611

you bet. would be a great time.

about Graham...I'm 95% positive Graham suffered a cuncussion from a hit by Thomas Davis in The dome this past season. I've heard talk that he's taken a few with no reports....

Never heard a thing about it, to be honest. Could he have? Sure. But it's really tough to get by without a concussion test being given now that he NFL has guys there just for that.

Seattle fans are thinking more like 800-900. I like Graham but he is soft as a baby's butt as a football player. Vacarro shows up as a rookie and smacked him around like a bitch in his first camp. Graham never got over his "don't foul" basketball mentality. Yes he's great because he has such physical dominance over pretty much all other players but he could have been so much greater if he wasn't such a puss. He's on the decline now at age 29. Good news is those tough SEA defenders will beat and rag on him so much in practice that hopefully they make him pull his skirt up, grab his balls, and be a man. If so he might have good value in his past-his-prime years like Witten and Gonzales gave their teams as past-their-prime TEs

Fair enough. I don't agree that Jimmy is soft, but it certainly is a talking point about him around the league. I think he's a tough SOB. The lisfranc injury he had 2 years ago would have sent many to IR. During the Seattle playoff game, he could barely run. He walked with a noticeable limp. This year, the shoulder.

He's not a Saints anymore, so that's about all the defending him I'm going to do, but I can definitely see 1,000 yards and 10 TDs.

Brees wants out Saints trying to calm him down and make him happy . Difficult to trade he won't go to Tennessee

4:33pm - 10 Mar 15

ProFootballCentral#

Bree's doesn't have a no-trade clause and the Titans can't be happy with just Mettenberg (smokescreen if they say otherwise.) The Titans have the cap cash to do this and it's mighty convenient that New Orleans is just merrily trading away any and all players to rebuild.

Mariota to Cooks is a pretty nice combo. not to mention the pro bowl caliber players they are signing starting up the middle for a pro bowl center.

Brees wants out Saints trying to calm him down and make him happy . Difficult to trade he won't go to Tennessee

4:33pm - 10 Mar 15

ProFootballCentral#

Bree's doesn't have a no-trade clause and the Titans can't be happy with just Mettenberg (smokescreen if they say otherwise.) The Titans have the cap cash to do this and it's mighty convenient that New Orleans is just merrily trading away any and all players to rebuild.

Mariota to Cooks is a pretty nice combo. not to mention the pro bowl caliber players they are signing starting up the middle for a pro bowl center.

As I've said, Drew is untradeable right now. His salary became fully guaranteed in February. It would cost the Saints $7 million to cut or trade him. It's simply impossible to do this year, even if they wanted to. Which they don't.

Archived