• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I am on Bre shad Perriman's bandwagon

top dawg

You do realize his lack of football IQ stems from not studying the playbook, right? He was criticized by our own school paper and twice by national commentators for being on the wrong page with his QB on more than one occasion in a single game. Again, his QB is dreadful but Perriman didn't do himself any favors by running the wrong routes and causing turnovers.

I swear. The Huddle is a lot like a hot and bothered chick every time some someone runs a 4.3 or 4.2.

And you still haven't shown me one source, much less a credible one, that questions the kid's football smarts.

I have seen scouts question other players' "football IQ" implicitly. I have still yet to see that with Perriman.

You can jump the Grand Canyon and make big leaps all you like, I like to base opinions on evidence.

Perriman is not unlike other players who have to be taught to be pros in different aspects of the game. Being able to learn is different from can't learn.

Drop rate is based on whether it's a catchable ball.

95 targets, 58 catchable, 50 receptions, 8 drops.

8/58 = ~14%

Didn't his tweet say 8 drops out of 99 targets? That's what the chart is showing. Or am I missing something else he said?

Oh. OK. I got it now, though still a 4 target discrepancy. Brandt just took the total targets. So I am back to square one.

The good thing for Perriman, according to Brandt, is that Perriman apparently didn't drop any passes the last four games, including scorching NCSU.

Not saying that this will ultimately matter (only if we draft him), but Gettleman noted several times that one of the things that he looked at with Kelvin Benjamin is how he progressed during the season.

Drop rate is based on whether it's a catchable ball.

95 targets, 58 catchable, 50 receptions, 8 drops.

8/58 = ~14%

Would this site have the wrong info?  Serious question, because that's what I've been going by.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/drop-percentage.aspx

What is Drop Percentage?

A statistic in football that measures the rate at which a receiver drops the ball compared to the number of times they are targeted with a pass. Drop percentage gives an indication to how often a receiver fails to catch a pass that otherwise should have been catchable, which can indicate how effective a receiver is at making catches. The lower the drop percentage the better for receivers.

Formula: Drop % = drops / targets

8/95 = 8.4%

Oh. OK. I got it now, though still a 4 target discrepancy. Brandt just took the total targets. So I am back to square one.

The good thing for Perriman, according to Brandt, is that Perriman apparently didn't drop any passes the last four games, including scorching NCSU.

Not saying that this will ultimately matter (only if we draft him), but Gettleman noted several times that one of the things that he looked at with Kelvin Benjamin is how he progressed during the season.

The difference in targets between what Brandt has and what PFF has is likely due to throwaway passes. If the QB throws a ball out of bounds over Perriman's head then that is usually reported as a pass intended for Perriman in play-by-play reports and official stats even though the actual intent was to throw it away. PFF does their own stat keeping and doesn't count those as targets.

Would this site have the wrong info? Serious question, because that's what I've been going by.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/drop-percentage.aspx

8/95 = 8.4%

I think that I know what you're saying, but there is a difference between targets and "catchable passes".

Doesn't sporting charts only have pros on it? I do believe that they base their drop rate on "catchable" passes also. Sometimes they and others differ on what a "catchable" pass is.

The difference in targets between what Brandt has and what PFF has is likely due to throwaway passes. If the QB throws a ball out of bounds over Perriman's head then that is usually reported as a pass intended for Perriman in play-by-play reports and official stats even though the actual intent was to throw it away. PFF does their own stat keeping and doesn't count those as targets.

I am pretty sure that Sporting Charts does the same thing, so I wouldn't exactly say that PFF is more accurate. It's a subjective opinion. Their drop rates are usually within a few percentage points.

I am pretty sure that Sporting Charts does the same thing, so I wouldn't exactly say that PFF is more accurate. It's a subjective opinion. Their drop rates are usually within a few percentage points.

Quote the wrong post?

Anyway I was saying that basing the drop rate percentage stat on catchable balls rather than on targets was more accurate. I'm not familiar with sporting charts so if that's how they do it then that's just as accurate as PFF would be. I was going off the 8/95 calculation Nick had.

I think that I know what you're saying, but there is a difference between targets and "catchable passes".

Doesn't sporting charts only have pros on it? I do believe that they base their drop rate on "catchable" passes also. Sometimes they and others differ on what a "catchable" pass is.

Sorry, should have been more clear.  That's what I've been going by, to calculate drop percentage.  They do only show pros, so any info on college guys is from another source, but I use that method to calculate.  It seems to be the method they use as well, as they have KB at 145 targets, 10 drops, 6.9%.  I just don't want to cause confusion when I post information on it.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

The only player we should be looking to draft from UCF is Jacoby Glenn.

And one more thing that I forgot to mention, I disagree with you on this statement even moreso than about Perriman. Clayton Geathers is well worth looking into. He had great production, is smart and football savvy, and works hard. Like most prospects, he needs to be coached up, but there is some talent there.

Of course he has a football pedigree also, but you'll probably take off points for that...

Archived