• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

same as last year, Rivera says Cam has got to become a more sound QB

gettlemanjack

60% comp. Rate and more passing yards than any QB in history their 1st four years says different. .

Cam is 2nd with 300 less yards.. He also played 2 less games.. My Bad... Cam also has 5,000+ rushing yards and 33 rushing TD.. How about that??

But Dalton isn't 77% of his offense like Cam is and who has had a better surrounding cast Cam or Dalton? ?

I was correcting the error in your first post. This thread is based on him developing as a passer so I don't know what you want me to do with the rushing stats.

You might want to take a look at Andrew Luck's completion % before throwing that around.

No other QB in NFL history has accounted for more touchdowns as quickly as Newton has in his first 4 seasons.

Fact of the matter is, Newton did not come into the NFL having had 3-4 seasons in college to perfect his craft as a pocket passer like a number of the other guys. He had one year in the SEC. He's been playing catch up his first 4 NFL seasons. Give him time.

He took the next step in 2013 when he had a real starting left tackle.

Unfortunately 2014 was one big series of unfortunate circumstances all happening at once, with the surgery, the injuries, our FO deciding to clear out the entire WR core while Newton recovered from surgery, Gross retiring. It was not the norm by any means.

Even with all that, early on in the season before the injuries began to pile up, Newton looked damn sharp as a pocket passer.

This thread is quickly turning to a shitfest, like usual of course, so I'm just about done.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about what Cam has done in his first 4 seasons and how it compares to the other quarterbacks around the league. All I care about is where he is now as a quarterback and how he can improve to take the next step to becoming a consistent top 10 passer.

Wow, nice of you to completely ignore everything in that post.

If that's how you want to play it, why did you bring up Andy Dalton then? It's okay to mention Dalton to support your flawed argument, but mentioning other QB's when it does not suit your argument is not acceptable? You've made it clear what your agenda is.

Go back and read the posts carefully and find out what I was responding to.

I was correcting the error in your first post. This thread is based on him developing as a passer so I don't know what you want me to do with the rushing stats.

Well being 2nd in passing yard in history means you're a bad passer Pimp??

You also neglected to mention Cam missing 2 games and not having nearly the weapons Dalton has..

You tried to be a smartass and focus on 1 point and failed..

To be honest, I couldn't care less about what Cam has done in his first 4 seasons and how it compares to the other quarterbacks around the league. All I care about is where he is now as a quarterback and how he can improve to take the next step to becoming a consistent top 10 passer.

That poo only happens if you give him a better supporting cast and he doesn't have to carry 77% of the offense...

Like he has the past 4 years. .

Maybe you should look at the past and other QB so you can understand how lucky we are to have Cam..

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. It was a mere part of it.

Newton was progressing very well by the end of the 2013 season. that's clear. 2014 he struggled at certain points, but he still shined once he was able to finally get healthy, gain some continuity with his entirely new WR core, and when our OL finally played well.

All of the factors that Newton dealt with in 2014 would have been difficult for any quarterback to overcome, let's not minimize that.

It completely floors me that ppl can say Cam needs to do this and that but in the same sentence admit he hasn't had the tools to do this and that..

You want him to be a better pocket passer. ..

Then give him what the better pocket passer have...

poo it isn't that hard to understand. .

Well being 2nd in passing yard in history means you're a bad passer Pimp??

You also neglected to mention Cam missing 2 games and not having nearly the weapons Dalton has..

You tried to be a smartass and focus on 1 point and failed..

I failed? I am not the one trying to give Cam the records he doesn't have.

Oh, the weapons argument? Who does Dalton have apart from Green? Tell me? Cam has had Shockey, Olsen, Smith, LaFell and now KB. Dalton has not had that much.

I've never seen anyone say cam is perfect.  Literally not a single person.

I HAVE seen a lot of people say he's not the answer, doesn't deserve franchise money, we need to move on, etc.

Defending Cam =/= Saying he's perfect.

We all know he needs to improve.

This x100

Anytime you someone defends Cam it's like people who aren't enamored with him want to say you are trying to say Cam is perfect when that is not true. Most or All Cam defenders knows that he has issues to work on, but there are also circumstances that he has had to deal with that not many QB's in the league have to deal with. At least QBs of teams that are trying to perennially get in the playoffs. 

I failed? I am not the one trying to give Cam the records he doesn't have.

Oh, the weapons argument? Who does Dalton have apart from Green? Tell me? Cam has had Shockey, Olsen, Smith, LaFell and now KB. Dalton has not had that much.

I love how people go back to Cam's rookie year weapons (when he had the one of the best rookie season of all time) to talk about Cam's lack of weapons. .

Thanks for making my point genius. .

When Cam had weapons he put up 35 TD 4,000 passing yards and a top 5 scoring offense. .

Wow isn't that a F'N coincidence. .

And you have to be literally blind to not See Dalton has had Sanu, Brown, Simpson, Gresiham and Eifert healthy RB'S and a better Oline..

That poo only happens if you give him a better supporting cast and he doesn't have to carry 77% of the offense...

Like he has the past 4 years. .

Maybe you should look at the past and other QB so you can understand how lucky we are to have Cam..

You act as if I'm a Cam hater. I'm not. I think Cam is a very good quarterback, but he still has a ways to go. Here are some of the problems I see with Cam:

-He can fail to sense pressure from the outside and struggles to step up in the pocket unless he has A LOT of room to work with

-He struggles with anticipating when receivers will get open, he has to see the receiver first before he passes

-He has a tendency to stare down receivers on his 1st read

-At times he can be very slow going through his progressions. A receiver may be open for a second or two before Cam sees him. By that time the window has closed up.

Most of these things can be improved without the help of a better supporting cast.

You act as if I'm a Cam hater. I'm not. I think Cam is a very good quarterback, but he still has a ways to go. Here are some of the problems I see with Cam:

-He can fail to sense pressure from the outside and struggles to step up in the pocket unless he has A LOT of room to work with

-He struggles with anticipating when receivers will get open, he has to see the receiver first before he passes

-He has a tendency to stare down receivers on his 1st read

-At times he can be very slow going through his progressions. A receiver may be open for a second or two before Cam sees him. By that time the window has closed up.

Most of these things can be improved without the help of a better supporting cast.

I'm going to give you a chance...

What QB is asked to do all the things you see Cam having a problem with. . Behind a bad Oline, inconsistent running game that he has to be a major part of, below avg. Play caller, and only 2 reliable pass catching options. .

I'll wait. .

Archived