• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

question about kemoaetu's contract

rayzor

in one of the other threads there was mentioned a kemo's contract and a potential $9mil hit he is going to be on the cap next year.

we are also possibly looking at the 5th cut today being an injury settlement to one of the players. we'll find that out before too long today.

here is kemo's contract details:

3/11/2006: Signed a five-year, $23 million contract.

The deal includes $8 million guaranteed.

If Kemoeatu's 2010 option bonus is not exercised, his contract will expire after the 2010 season.

2009: $2 million (+ $1.9 million in guaranteed bonuses),

2010: $750,000 (+ $9.3 million option bonus due in March),

2011: $1.485 million (Voidable Years),

2012: $2.115 million,

2013: $2.745 million,

2014: $3.375 million,

2015: Free Agent

(source)

here's the question...do we keep him?

here's a few problems that we run into.

1) no guarantee that he will fully recover from this injury. he's a really big guy and is 30 years old. chances of him fully recovering because of his size and age are against him.

2) he's going to be hard to replace and anyone coming in (if they are going to be able to help the team reach their goals will probably command the same size of contract. with the cap obligations we have elsewhere, can we get an additional big DT to fill in? these guys are rare and are very expensive because of it. paying for two but only using one is not likely something that we should be doing or can really afford to do.

3) panthers are in a 'win now' mode. they can't get a stop gap player, they need to get someone who puts them in the best situation to win it all this year. peppers situation makes this an even bigger stickler.

now about that contract.

that option in 2010 is only going to be paid if we keep kemo for another 4 years. is that $9mil due in March of 2010 or in March following the 2010 season?

also, kemo is supposed to receive nearly $4mil this year. 1.9 of it is guaranteed bonuses. how much of that are we on the hook for if we do cut him?

this could be where an injury settlement comes in. if one does happen how much could we save?

are we better off just cutting ties with him if we can find someone just as big and just as good?

btw...i know we have just picked up louis leonard who is big body to stuff in the line but he is most likely not the answer we have been waiting for.

Just out of curiosity where do you get that contract info?

You make some good points... I suspect it will depend a lot on what the team Dr's think when he's able to start working out again. A 350 lb guy with a bum achilles isn't gonna do much, but the Panther's have proven to be a loyal bunch...

sorry, here's the link. i'll put it in the OP as well.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=CAR

as to the loyalty issue. i think that they have shifted their loyalties from players to getting a ring. many may scoff at this but think about the moves that they have made in the past couple years and tell me that it is the same mindset they had in previous years. mortgaging future early picks? cutting long time team favorites in favor of guys with potential? starting rookies? i think they are more loyal to the idea of winning now than keeping older players. plus, it's not like kemo has been on the team forever. he came in '06, right? it's not like we have a lot invested into this guy other than the money which could always change.

i'm just saying that they may not be as loyal to him as they have players in the past.

Truth be told. If he comes back healthy I believe the would keep him.

On the surface he is making basically 3.9m this year.

Taking the option. Spread the 9.3 over 5 years your talking roughly 2 mil per for the next 5 years, which with his base salary being under 1mill for next year your talking a cap hit of 2.61 m next year as opposed to 3.9m this year. 3.345m in 2011 and 3.975 m in 2012. All of which are below or right at his current number. If he is healthy that is below the typical starting dt money. I believe he stays if healthy.

The 9.3 is paided immediately on "taking the option", however for cap purposes it is spread out over the length of the deal. So 9.3 m over 5 years would be a 1.86 m hit each year, roughly.

that sounds right.

what about the money that he is due this year.

if he were to get cut this year how much of that would the team take a hit for?

keep in mind this is just speculating. i don't see any way that he would be cut outright. injury settlement, that's possible but not something i am anticipating.

Archived