• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets Starting A D-League Team

Didn't Fayetteville have a D-league team at one point?

Not that it matters just curious

Yeah, i mentioned it in my post earlier in the thread... i was actually a ball boy for them. IIRC, they were among league leaders in attendance every year. They had a LOT of famous/legit NBA players that came through there too... but, like i said in that previous post, im surprised the nba keeps expanding the dleague teams because from first hand experience, i have no idea how they make money, or even break even for that matter, no matter how successful they are.

Yeah, i mentioned it in my post earlier in the thread... i was actually a ball boy for them. IIRC, they were among league leaders in attendance every year. They had a LOT of famous/legit NBA players that came through there too... but, like i said in that previous post, im surprised the nba keeps expanding the dleague teams because from first hand experience, i have no idea how they make money, or even break even for that matter, no matter how successful they are.

Somehow I missed your post. Doh!! Cool, I thought I remembered them having one. Cool that u were a ball boy.

True, but a D-League team is not going to make poo off of ticket sales no matter where they put it.

They would make more money in long run growing their market and growing their presence in the Raleigh market than worrying about ticket sales.

We have more competition, but we have more people and more diversity than Asheville and Charleston.

Actually Triad area makes a lot of sense too. So I vote Raleigh or Greensboro

Counterpoint: They're not going to grow the market in the Triangle where college basketball is always king and they also have the Hurricanes to deal with.

Folks are not going to journey out to Dorton Arena when they could be at PNC or Reynolds for NC State and the Canes. What makes the Checkers/Canes relationship work is the Checkers are the only hockey option in Charlotte. In this arrangement you're looking at basketball vs basketball, and NC State and the rest of the elite basketball programs are always going to win the attention span of the market.

The D-League works best in smaller communities where the rest of the low minor league sports are. Asheville and even Fayetteville fit that bill much better.

Archived