• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Logjam at Corner Back...Who Goes?

ncbobcat

Final cuts are Saturday and we seem to have a crowded position at CB. Who gets disappointed in roughly 72 hours? Here's the breakdown:

-Gamble

-Mashall

-Wesley

-Wilson

-Martin

-Munnerlyn

Which on get's cut? We will NOT keep six corners. I've thought all along Munnerlyn since he's a rookie and a seventh rounder. HOWEVER, I haven't seen too much out of any of our corners and Munnerlyn has played well enough in the return game that I'm not sure any more.

Wilson has looked nothing short of horrible and this offseason he was the shoo-in for the nickel spot. Going against the talent of the slot WRs we play this year, he'll EASILY give up 5-7 TDs the way he's played. Martin has shown nothing and Wesley is a STs beast. As average of a corner as he is, Dante has not been outplayed by the youngsters.

Thoughts?

*I was working on my 53 man roster when I came across this dilemma..the only postion where there was an instance of a close call.

Gantt keeps 'em all and only holds on to 4 WR's.

DEFENSIVE BACKS (9)

In: Chris Gamble, Richard Marshall, C.J. Wilson, Captain Munnerlyn, Chris Harris, Charles Godfrey, Quinton Teal, Sherrod Martin, Dante Wesley. Out: D.J. Clark, Kevin Kaesviharn, Paul Chiara, Joe Fields.

A complicated group, because there are only three true safeties in it, and one of them's hurt. Teal's a good enough backup that you can ride with a converted corner as the fourth, and they've got plenty of those (Wesley, Martin). Wilson's come too far to give up on, and Munnerlyn's got the potential to be something more than a mascot. He might be the punt returner.

The core of the special teams units are coming from here, and Wesley's acumen there probably buys him another year.

So Gantt is COUNTING on Wesley or Martin to make the switch to safety. He has to...because his cuts leave only 3 safeties on the roster. That is unless he thinks the team will go through the salvage heap of safeties after final cuts. If that's the case, again, we will not keep 6 corners.

I wouldn't be totally against the idea of bringing in another corner off cuts. Maybe a wiley veteren who can merely play the nickel. Roderick Hood was released last week and I mentioned that he would be a good candidate but the Bears quickly snatched him up within the day. If only we had more money to work with.

those of you who believe capt does nothing notice that hes so crisp in his movements in coverage that nobody will throw to his side because they cant get open , hence him being able to cover smith in practice , excellent catch up speed if he is somehow bypassed on a route , and if the ball is thrown to the other side you better believe he will be over there pretty damn quick i.e. the Giants game he hauled tail to the ball carrier

I just posted in the other thread I thought they would cut either wilson or wesley. I think Wesley has to stay in case he has to play emergency saftey. Although I re-watched the Baltimore game yesterday, and I think Wilson outplayed Wesley. Wesley got that int, but it was pure luck. The ball bounced off the reciever and right to him...which was 5 yards away from the reciever he was suppossed to be covering. Also, captain played pretty well. He came up in run support especially well, but he could still work on his coverage. I think he could possibly get the nickel spot.

Archived