• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd Haley and Raheem Morris...

Mr. Scot

...have both made themselves into lightning rods.

If their respective teams have trouble, both are going to face a fair amount of questioning over their decisions to fire their OCs right before the season.

For my part though, I don't find the situations equivalent.

Morris has explained that he believes Jeff Jagodzinski essentially just wasn't ready for the OC position. Longtime Panther fans should be able to relate to that, as it mirrors the situation we once had with Bill Musgrave.

Haley on the other hand? From what I've read, he just sounds like a guy whose ego won't allow him to trust anyone else to do the job he used to do.

Rightly speaking, I think Haley should be judged a little more harshly here. Morris is trying to make the best of a bad situation. Yes, he's partly responsible in that he hired Jagodzinski, but given his resume it was a reasonable hire (same deal as with Musgrave).

But Haley? He seems to be digging his own hole.

Obviously, both guys get a mulligan for at least this season. But each has to have made positive changes within 3 seasons. That's how it goes these days in the NFL, and sometimes the fuse is even shorter.

Regardless, I think the timing is garbage. If there is a difference of opinion between the coordinator and HC as far as philosophy, then that needs to get hashed out before week 3 of the preseason! Yes, you can't truly understand a "philosophy" until you've seen it on the field, live, against another team. So, I can envision why these coaches made the decisions- they knew their coordinator's philosophy did not jibe with their own and decided to do it sooner, rather than later. In KC's case, at least, I think this will work out for the better. I think that Haley, coming off of being an OC, will be best suited for just taking the reins of the offense and moving on. I think that this might actually turn out to be a great move... say, by week 7

Archived