• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vindication for Kony Ealy

KillaCamNewton

13 minutes ago, pantherfan49 said:

His benching was kindof a real head scratcher.  I suspect that Ron thought the vets would play better than they have. 

I think it was the old code deal but like i mentioned elsewhere, Allen getting nicked up is a double blessing in disguise.  He gets to rest and recharge his batteries and Ealy gets to come in fresh and hungry. Then you have 2 more guys to roll for SB50.

First two years of career comparison: (Avg. per game)

Charles Johnson: Games: 19, Tackles: 27, Sacks: 6, Passes Defensed: 7 (1.42, 0.32, 0.36) (2.1 total score/game)

Julius Peppers: Games: 28, Tackles: 79, Sacks: 19, PD: 7, Int: 1 (2.82, 0.68, 0.25) (3.75 total score/game)

Greg Hardy: Games: 31, Tackles: 80, Sacks: 7, PD: 12 (2.58, 0.23, 0.39) (3.2 total score/game)

Mike Rucker: Games: 32, Tackles: 69, Sacks: 5.5, PD: 0 (2.15, 0.17, 0.0) (2.32 total score/game)

Kony Ealy: Games: 31, Tackles: 44, Sacks: 9, PD: 2 (1.41, 0.29, 0.06) (1.76 total score/game)

Sadly, I couldn't find actual game minutes for each to really give a good comparison, but it does reflect how they performed in the opportunities they were given to a certain degree (more field time SHOULD mean better stats). On a per game basis, Kony's impact hasn't been as great as those DE stalwarts that came before him. 

It should be noted that Ealy hasn't had as much field time as these other guys in his first two years. Peppers was the outlier, of course, because he was put on the field at every opportunity. He was also a once in a generation football player.

The real thing, to take note, is that in each of the cases above, the players really didn't hit their strides until their third year. Kony shows promise and hopefully 2016 will see him hitting the big time and matching up well with these other guys.

Archived