• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Copa America Centenario

DirtyMagic97

• 2 months later...

For USA:

What I like: 

• Nagbe
  • Pulisic
  • Kitchen
  • Horvath
  • Looks like Yedlin will be a defender.  Hopefully the winger/MF experiment for him is done

What I don't like:

• Wondo over Morris??? 
  • Beckerman.  KB and PK being on the roster means JK will once again be playing Bradley as the number 10 where he's literally played 0 good matches.  Meanwhile, Bradley has been the best Dmid in the MLS this year.
  • Orozco over Castillo.  Or hell, I would have rather seen Garza, Gonzalez, and a few other defenders than Orozco.
  • Looks like they're playing Fabian as a defender, rather than an MF/Winger

• 2 weeks later...

After last night's game:

What I like:

• Nothing
  • Yedlin at least hustled

What I don't like:

• Michael Bradley - I mean seriously, I don't watch that much MLS, so I'll take your word on it that he's one of the best midfielders from the season. However, last night, he was directly responsible for both of Colombia's goals, but either having such a poo pass it was easy to intercept, or he would lose possession in such a dangerous spot, the backs couldn't get into position to defend at all. Yes, the first goal was from a corner, but it came from his losing the ball in front of the box yet again. Other than his name, there is no way I believe he's worthy of being on the USMNT, much less starting.
  • Guzan - He's no Tim Howard.. like, at all. He tried playing sweeper keeper last night and almost got burned so much, it was scary. His reactions were late, and outside of one terrific save, looked mostly like a spectator. I know Howard is getting up there in age, but is this really a better alternative?
  • Klinnsman - Way to get our guys hyped up for the start of the cup. I've never been a huge fan of the 4-3-3, unless you have some world-class wingers. It's very boring football, with a TON of side and back passes that drive me crazy. Further, if you don't press, then it leaves you weak in midfield to the vertical pass, which is how Colombia exploited us last night. I'd much rather we ran a 4-2-3-1, with Demps or Wood up top crashing the box every five seconds. Combine that with an actual press (not a press after they got to mid-pitch, thank you), and the outcome may have been a bit different. Instead, the guys looked flat, dispirited, and beaten by about 5 minutes before the first goal. Isn't it the coach's job to ensure his players play with some modicum of life? Blame falls squarely on Jurgen for this latest zombie-walk.

That was a pretty pathetic performance last night.  I expect I will be watching much more Euro than Copa as this will likely be over early.

I suppose a draw is the best outcome this evening when Costa Rica meets Paraguay?  Then we need Colombia to just pound the other two.

5 hours ago, Raskle said:

Guzan - He's no Tim Howard.. like, at all. He tried playing sweeper keeper last night and almost got burned so much, it was scary. His reactions were late, and outside of one terrific save, looked mostly like a spectator. I know Howard is getting up there in age, but is this really a better alternative?

Howard looked really bad in his last few appearances for the USMNT. Neither option is good right now considering Guzan was benched for Aston Villa and Howard was benched for Everton.

I have not seen enough of Nagbe to have an opinion but what I have seen of Pulisic gives me reason for excitement.

Don't get me wrong, the kid has talent. let's not over hype him though, he's played well in the 2 friendlies for the U.S, but yesterday night he really didn't do much against Colombia. Jordan Morris was overhyped too & look at him, he turned down a European offer to play in the MLS & he didn't make the squad for the Copa Centenario. 

Archived