• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Attendance

Jakob

The NHL has said they're committed to the triangle, but as our attendance slips below 11,000 per game, how much longer can we sustain this? As we near one of the worst attendance records in modern history, I worry for the teams long term future here. I know this has been said before and I'll get some hate for it, but this team needs to go to Charlotte. The Checkers are averaging 65% of our attendance during an average season. Every time I go to the games I sit beside people who don't even live in Raleigh, such as myself. The city has let the team down.

Sick and tired of seeing an empty stadium.

I'm going to the game tonight.  I'm pretty excited to see my team for the first time in awhile.  Having seen the Hurricanes on tv be terribad for so long, I am glad that the Hurricanes are starting to improve.  As usual if we were somehow to get on a little run and back into the playoffs at least they'd have something to market for next year.  I don't know how you market defense, but with our U25 core they are going to be vicious soon and we keep them together, we could have a really nice decade on the back end.  I'll cheer enough for everyone!

Even when the team was winning, heck outside of the Stanley cup championship season attendance has sucked.  Most of the time being slightly above or under 15k with a couple seasons at 16k. One season above 90% sell rate for tickets, one season over 17k average attendance. The team hasn't had good attendance rates outside of one season really the whole time they've been in NC. 

I'm actually shocked they are still here to be honest. 

They're under contract with PNC through I think 2027. I think if the Checkers maintain attendance or even improve it, they'll consider coming to Charlotte. Being in the Triangle SHOULD bring more people, since it's such a big sports area. But, that's the problem. People are saving for Duke and UNC games. People are more invested in college sports there. Come to Charlotte and you'll still be in a college area, but I honestly feel like there are more pure hockey fans. I have a coworker from NY who is a Buffalo fan who went with me to the Lightning game this past Sunday. He goes to a few Canes games every year just to go and enjoys going to Checkers games whenever since it's a 25 minute drive. 

Trade the Checkers and Canes, put the Checkers in Raleigh, and we're fine. Though, being perennial contenders will put us back in a good spot. We're nipping at a wild card after a very "meh" season. If we can be a lock for AT LEAST a wild card every year, we'll see a rise in attendance.

This past Sunday was ridiculous. So many empty seats. It was kinda sad. Though, the fans that show up are pretty hardcore. Made decent noise and were engaged.

5 hours ago, iamcline said:

The problem with hockey in this region is that us fans are so scattered. If I could make it to weeknight games I would but the 1 1/2 hour drive plus traffic makes it frustrating to try and go. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This. When I lived in Raleigh I went to games all the time. Now that I'm 2 hours away and have to work in the mornings, that limits me to weekend games.

However, if we start consistently winning, people will start coming to games. Look at how quick winning turned around the Penguins, Blackhawks, Capitals and Bruins. All struggled with attendance. The pens even filled for bankruptcy. 

The Canes have been under the same mentality that the Panthers were under Fox for the past 8 years or so. People get fed up with the same ol' same ol' bullshit. Hopefully big moves like we just made with Eric means a brighter future, but I won't hold my breath until I see some results.

On February 27, 2016 at 0:43 AM, lightsout said:

They're under contract with PNC through I think 2027. I think if the Checkers maintain attendance or even improve it, they'll consider coming to Charlotte. Being in the Triangle SHOULD bring more people, since it's such a big sports area. But, that's the problem. People are saving for Duke and UNC games. People are more invested in college sports there. Come to Charlotte and you'll still be in a college area, but I honestly feel like there are more pure hockey fans. I have a coworker from NY who is a Buffalo fan who went with me to the Lightning game this past Sunday. He goes to a few Canes games every year just to go and enjoys going to Checkers games whenever since it's a 25 minute drive. 

Trade the Checkers and Canes, put the Checkers in Raleigh, and we're fine. Though, being perennial contenders will put us back in a good spot. We're nipping at a wild card after a very "meh" season. If we can be a lock for AT LEAST a wild card every year, we'll see a rise in attendance.

This past Sunday was ridiculous. So many empty seats. It was kinda sad. Though, the fans that show up are pretty hardcore. Made decent noise and were engaged.

Move the Canes to Charlotte...but what about future efforts to get MLB or MLS?

Archived