• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason chimes in on Nippleshorts

SCP

24 minutes ago, SCP said:

He's said he doesn't draft for need; he drafts 3 corners. He said he doesn't want to be a player development squad for rest of NFL; he cuts Bene and let's JNo walk without getting anything in return. He said he doesn't panic; he trades a 4th for a punter instead of being patient. He talks about sustained success; he sits on his laurels and let's a SB contending roster devolve due to retirements, stubbornness, and what seems to be a hangover from playing deep into the post season. He even admitted he started draft evaluations late because of our SB run. That's embarrassing. You can't sit there and get fat and happy which is what he did and that's my biggest gripe.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Several good points.  I disagree on a couple though.  There will be compensation for JNo and the team was devolving since the last good draft (probably 2007).  His draft style doesn't really look like all BPA like he claims but he has made an effort to walk through the roster and rebuild positions every draft (2015 seems to be the exception in that regard, as it looks more like setting up for other issues to come).

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

I could kind of begin approaching an understanding of your point if we were talking about Deangelo Williams or Steve Smith. But Beason has really said little to nothing bad or negative about the org ever since we moved on from him, certainly nothing in the way of what Williams or Smith have said.

I like Gettleman, I support him as our GM the same I do our players. But this sort of bizarre level of worship where we have to joke about Beason blowing out his knee just to prop up Gettleman because we're 1-5, and Jon had the nerve to state the obvious (we didn't have a good offseason, it's not for debate) that we all can see for ourselves is just really sad, and desperate.

well, he decided to poke his head out of his hidey hole and jump on the dogpile, and i was never happy about the colossal disappointment he was the minute he signed a contract extension. 

and i don't care very much about not joking about players being injured like it's some sort of sacrilege. it's just the way i'm wired i guess. maybe i've just witnessed too many kevin nash quad jokes that it's been normalized.

and let's be honest the way this whole norman situation played out and the prevailing reaction to it isn't as much of an indictment on gettleman's abilities as a talent evaluator but some kind of vicarious schadenfreude stemming from the embers of outrage from years ago because gettleman cut their favorite player, and ignores literally every single other factor that contributes to why we're 1-5 and numbers more than just one. boo fuging hoo. 

1 minute ago, frash.exe said:

well, he decided to poke his head out of his hidey hole and jump on the dogpile, and i was never happy about the colossal disappointment he was the minute he signed a contract extension. 

and i don't care very much about not joking about players being injured like it's some sort of sacrilege. it's just the way i'm wired i guess. maybe i've just witnessed too many kevin nash quad jokes that it's been normalized.

I definitely get your frustration about how things ended with Beason. Though unless my memory has deceived me, it wasn't a situation of just getting fat and lazy to collect a check. Those were brutal injuries, you can argue just bad luck or whatever, but it wasn't as if he simply had a nagging non serious injury, and didn't want to play. He was just never the same player after that, poo happens.

It sucked for our salary cap clearly, but I didn't blame Jon for it, that falls on Hurney. Who ironically with all the discussion over the last few years about his bad contracts affecting our salary cap was widely regarded here as literally a "cap guru" by many for some time. That's why I chuckle from time to time when I see people really going out of their way to slurp Gettleman. If things play out badly for ol' Getts, you can bet your sweet ass there will be some fuzzy memories around here a few years down the line.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I definitely get your frustration about how things ended with Beason. Though unless my memory has deceived me, it wasn't a situation of just getting fat and lazy to collect a check. Those were brutal injuries, you can argue just bad luck or whatever, but it wasn't as if he simply had a nagging non serious injury, and didn't want to play. He was just never the same player after that, poo happens.

It sucked for our salary cap clearly, but I didn't blame Jon for it, that falls on Hurney. Who ironically with all the discussion over the last few years about his bad contracts affecting our salary cap was widely regarded here as literally a "cap guru" by many for some time. That's why I chuckle from time to time when I see people really going out of their way to slurp Gettleman. If things play out badly for ol' Getts, you can bet your sweet ass there will be some fuzzy memories around here a few years down the line.

Beason didn't have ACL's like Davis.  He had the Achilles.  Those things are bitches to come back from.  Before the Achilles though, Beason was a damn baller.  

10 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Beason didn't have ACL's like Davis.  He had the Achilles.  Those things are bitches to come back from.  Before the Achilles though, Beason was a damn baller.  

In hindsight the panthers should have sat him out for a couple weeks or IR'd him. He missed all of that preseason with a hamstring injury, he wasn't ready to play and it ended up ruining a great player. 

5 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Even when Beason was healthy he wasn't that great. He just collected tackles. I mean to be fair he wasn't James Anderson. He was decent but never as disciplined as Kuechly or as much of a field general like Luke is.

I like you frash, but now we're just kinda entering delusional territory here a bit. I get you gotta "stick up for yo GM", but Beason was a two time All-Pro before the string of injuries. He obviously wasn't the best LB of all time or something absurd, but he wasn't a bum either. Let's not get too carried away here with the use of selective memory.

The use of strange logic to deflect from Gettleman's mistakes very much reminds me of the rationalization used with Hurney's questionable moves.

9 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

Even when Beason was healthy he wasn't that great. He just collected tackles. I mean to be fair he wasn't James Anderson. He was decent but never as disciplined as Kuechly or as much of a field general like Luke is.

Oh, Beason was up there with Willis as the best LBers in football before the injuries hit.

But, correct.  Anderson was the definition of tackle collector.  

2 hours ago, carolinajay said:

There are plenty of players who had a lot of good things to say about Gettleman as well. I can't say how the Beason-Gettlemen relationship was because I wasn't there, but Beason was a liability his last year here (Seattle targeted him and Buffalo did) it was not surprising when the team got better when Blackburn/Klein were inserted. 

Even Hurney drafted a MLB high because Achilles injuries are not easy to return from.

What does any of that have to do with the way you treat someone in the process of business?  That is the problem.  The more news that comes out, and the more former players speak on their dealings with him, the more his reputation grows for making it feel like more than "just business" for them.

18 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

I thought he left because he wanted to be MLB and not be 2nd to luke...but anyways he tried the other position just did not work for him

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

What does any of that have to do with the way you treat someone in the process of business?  That is the problem.  The more news that comes out, and the more former players speak on their deslings with him, the more his reputation grows for making it feel like more than "just business" for them

No players wants to be traded or cut but it was clear Beason loss a step. 

How did he treat him?

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

What

We definitely not going to do that today

1 minute ago, carolinajay said:

No players wants to be traded or cut but it was clear Beason loss a step. 

How did he treat him?

giphy.gif

Congrats on posting that .gif twice in the same thread.

Actually, IIRC, Beason was somewhat relieved when the trade was made.  He was disappoonted to be leaving our organization, but he was happy to get an expanded role again elsewhere.  So, this isnt coming from a placr of anger.  He's three years removed from it...   and again, what did his playing ability have to do with the way Gettleman talked to him or treated him on his way out?

9 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Congrats on posting that .gif twice in the same thread.

Actually, IIRC, Beason was somewhat relieved when the trade was made.  He was disappoonted to be leaving our organization, but he was happy to get an expanded role again elsewhere.  So, this isnt coming from a placr of anger.  He's three years removed from it...   and again, what did his playing ability have to do with the way Gettleman talked to him or treated him on his way out?

Thanks

I really want to know how Gettleman treated him on his way out hence why I posted the gif twice.

giphy.gif

Archived