• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LOL: Ron on the decision not to go for it on 4th and 1

truthjuice

1 hour ago, csx said:

It was tied. Failing gives them the ball on our side of the field. in retrospect I get it but it's not as clear cut as its being made out to be. If we failed the attempt and gave that offense the ball on our side of the field fans would be just as passed off..

In that situation. With that much time on the clock, I don't even hesitate. If you stop Cam then you win the game. Honestly had no hope the defense would stop them from scoring with that much time left. When he punted, my only thought was hold them to a field goal and give Cam some time to work a miracle. Them taking the lead was a given. 

5 hours ago, HardcoreDefense said:

True but Rivera's gutless decision to punt the ball pissed even more fans off. It seems like Ron forgot we're the desperate team trying to get a spot in the playoffs. Ever since Rivera has been head coach, we tend the lose games in the same fashion. You would've thought by now he would learn but he hasn't and it's frustrating as a fan to watch his piss poor decisions when the game is on the line. 

It's true, Ron Rivera's Panthers have lost far to many games in the exact same fashion. I was in a bar watching the game and Stewart scored, the Raiders fan next to me said "this is where you cheer." I told him, "I don't cheer until we're up at least 20 in the 4th."

16 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I guess being decimated on the OL and having virtually no push up the middle when Gradkowski went down had no bearing on the decision. 

Truth is we got the ball back and had a chance to tie the game or win if Olsen catches that pass.

Sanity....so hard to find on message boards.

Look guys...because of injuries, a harder schedule, rookies in the outfield....we are what we are.  Accept it and move on. Ron isn't a miracle worker you fuging nancies.

17 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If we had gone for it and didn't make it, Oakland has a shorter field to score, but we save more clock and don't have to burn our TOs. If we make it, it gives us the chance to finish a road game against a very difficult team on our terms and walk out with a win without letting their offense back on the field. 

...its a moot point if Cam doesnt throw the pick six...again.

On 11/29/2016 at 11:42 AM, X-Clown on 1 said:

When is Ron going to start looking at the upside instead of the what-ifs?  Go for it on 4th down and the absolute worst case scenario is you don't get it, you're up by 8 points and at best OAK can tie you.  You would then still have a chance to try and win the game on a final drive.  The upside?  You pick up that 1 yard and essentially milk the clock, hopefully gain another 20 yards at a minimum to get a FG, making it a 2 score game and most likely icing the game.  Just once, I want to see Cam waive off the punt team and just Deebo Ron, stealing the chain his grand-mama gave him and pick up that first down.

In this scenario, you also have more time to go down and get the winning score as well, since the Raiders have a shorter field and thus almost certainly take less time to score themselves.

Archived