• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to fix it (Defense)

Mr. Scot

Regarding Peppers, some stuff from another thread.

Bringing in a DT who can push the pocket would help Julius, but not just Julius. All edge rushers see higher sack totals when the quarterback doesn't have a place to step up and avoid them.

If Julius still doesn't respond after that, let Brian Baker rip him. Question his manhood, accuse him of being soft, call him a guy who isn't worth the money, tell him he plays like a little girl, whatever. Part of me wonders whether or not Fox would allow this, but if Peppers isn't responding I think it'd have to be done.

Make no mistake though. It comes with a risk.

I've said it before. Julius Peppers has a "Ricky Williams" like personality. Sullen, reserved, hard to figure and unpredictable. There's really no way to be sure how he'd react to a public dressing down. He could get the virtual "fire under his a$$" and become a monster. He could also just retreat into a shell, start sulking and essentially say "you hurt my feelings, I don't wanna play anymore".

It's a gamble, a big one. But if it gets to the point that the team has done all it can though, and he still isn't producing, by then you've got nothing to lose.

What's the risk involved when he's already not playing?

That you become known in league circles as the coach who turned a perceived star player into a pouting million-dollar-per-game bench warmer. Not exactly a gold star on your resume should you wind up looking for work again.

(a distinct possibility given the Panthers current state)

Would you risk your reputation and livelihood taking a gamble trying to motivate a guy no one can understand or predict?

Here's my two cent's:

1) Sit Peppers and play someone who wants to play. I know he's making a million a game but he's not giving that amount of effort or any effort. Maybe a game or two sitting out or dare I say, deactivated, would light a fire under his ass. Then after the season let him go, he blew his chance at a big contract.

2) Keep sending a LB to blitz and more often, we have 3 really quick and athletic linebackers lets put it to use instead of standing around in a cover 2. I hate this scheme and the phrase "cover 2" and we cant "cover 1".

3) Allow the DB's to play more bump and run. When Tampa perfected this, the rules allowed more contact downfield. Jamming receivers at the line throws the timing off and allows the DL more time to apply pressure. I'm sick and tired of seeing the DB's 10 yds. off the receiver, especially on 3rd and short.

4) Ron Meeks flying to the ball theory is fine but then tackle and finish. How many times this year have we seen multiple defenders stop a guy and he breaks out for more yardage, because we are trying to strip the ball?

5) Swagger, I no some of you hate this term but we dont have it. I remember the Atlanta game and how Mike Smith acted on the sidelines. He showed confidence in himself and his team. Our coach chews gum and claps, thats sure as hell not "swagger".

Look at Ray Lewis, thats the perfect example of what "swagger" is.

6) I've learned a lot coaching kids for 12 years, including, play the ones who want it, the fastest way to motivate someone is to sit them down, play every play like its the last play of the game, you have to love the game and have fun doing it, and do it with "swagger". (Yes I started using this word long before Meeks arrived and its written on my son's batting helmet) Swagger is something we had on defense in the late 90's and earlier this decade and it has all but disappeared from this team on all sides of the ball.

Fox has to be held accountable for the defense, plain and simple. That's what he made his 'bones' on before he was hired as head coach. We let several drive ending tackles get away Monday night, the lack of fundamentals is galling. I say let Peppers walk after this season, if we didn't get any real offers for him after the season he had last year, we sure as heck aren't going to get anything for him now. His work ethic (or lack thereof) is well known around the league. If he or anyone representing him thinks that a team will invest the time for him to learn how to become a linebacker in a 3-4 defense is smoking something! Let him go, use the money to sign some depth on the D-line. I think replacing Gamble should be a priority as well, he can't cover a cadaver, much less a living WR! Beason and Davis are good to continue to build around.

That you become known in league circles as the coach who turned a perceived star player into a pouting million-dollar-per-game bench warmer. Not exactly a gold star on your resume should you wind up looking for work again.

I honestly don't think that would happen. I think stuff like that gets vetted by smart teams if they want to hire you. As for what JP would do if he were challenged, I believe it would be your latter scenario...he'd go into a shell.

I honestly don't think that would happen. I think stuff like that gets vetted by smart teams if they want to hire you. As for what JP would do if he were challenged, I believe it would be your latter scenario...he'd go into a shell.

Truth be told, that's what I think too.

And I'd add that I am disappointed to see our corners playing off again, especially Gamble.

Always thought it was Trgovac who had a deathly fear of big plays. Maybe it is Fox.

(don't think I'm ready to let Trgovac off the hook though)

Truth be told, that's what I think too.

And I'd add that I am disappointed to see our corners playing off again, especially Gamble.

Always thought it was Trgovac who had a deathly fear of big plays. Maybe it is Fox.

(don't think I'm ready to let Trgovac off the hook though)

I will say I have seen them in bump coverage and Gamble is horrible at chucking a WR he seems to get beat almost every time. This may be the reason Gamble plays off and Marshall plays close. Just a guess though. :smash:

Munnerlyn is the man, he should be the press corner. Dude has serious skills.

This is another case of when the season is officially over 0-4 or 1-4 you give your very young but talented players playing time. Both Capt and Brown should be starting in this instance as well as maybe Moore or Jarret over Moose and Robinson over Vincent (needs to happen anyway).

Munnerlyn is the man, he should be the press corner. Dude has serious skills.

Most of the time he is in Press even sometimes when he should not be LOL. I think a PI or two have flew his way. I still love a CB that will fight with you though.

Archived