• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Voth: Gary Barnidge Will Not Be Returning To Carolina

Questions for all the Ed Dickson "Experts" on here:

In 2016, what percentage of snaps did he not do what he was supposed to do?

I assume assistant coaches watch film after games in order to track this sort of information.  Do you believe if a player has a high fail rate in his assignments for each play, there are no ramifications?  Do you believe football teams routinely pay 2-3 million for a player and never conduct a performance appraisal?

Many question whether Dickson could step in for Olsen if he were hurt.  Given Olsen never leaves the field, is there some evidence that confirms this? 

Bottom line, are there some numbers we can look at that accurately judge Dickson's performance?  Why do we believe Dickson as not a good TE2/backup and could not be a decent emergency replacement for our all-pro TE?

1 hour ago, grimesgoat said:

I assume assistant coaches watch film after games in order to track this sort of information.  Do you believe if a player has a high fail rate in his assignments for each play, there are no ramifications?  Do you believe football teams routinely pay 2-3 million for a player and never conduct a performance appraisal?

Many question whether Dickson could step in for Olsen if he were hurt.  Given Olsen never leaves the field, is there some evidence that confirms this? 

Bottom line, are there some numbers we can look at that accurately judge Dickson's performance?  Why do we believe Dickson as not a good TE2/backup and could not be a decent emergency replacement for our all-pro TE?

Even though this is 2 years old it is still very relevant https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-pffs-midseason-all-worst-team/

this too https://www.profootballfocus.com/worst-players-at-every-position-for-week-7/

Also, this too http://wtop.com/nfl/2016/01/the-least-valuable-player-of-every-nfl-team-in-2015/

There are other articles wrote on him, but these articles I have listed cannot be ignored. Has he gotten better since those articles were written? I have not seen it, and many others would agree. I understand what you are saying, but the tight end 2 position should at least be a decent blocker.

21 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Barnidge can sign a bigger contract somewhere else that he would be offered here. And chances are it will be for a TE1 position.

That being said, you know, I don't have many problems with Ed Dickson. The biggest knock against him is that he isn't Greg Olsen. As the second tight end for this team, he does a pretty good job and I still remember him catching that bullet of a pass in the end zone to win a game (Titans, I think) where the commentators couldn't imagine anyone being able to make that connection.

We'll be fine with Dickson as our TE2 this year. We do, however, need to be looking at Greg's eventual replacement. That's going to take a 1st rounder and we're going to have to get pretty lucky, too. Guys like him are pretty darn rare.

Man that is one to 2 plays that Ed has made and they were in dyer need, but for the most part he sucks.

1 hour ago, grimesgoat said:

Because what we see on Sundays..He blows blocks just like tolbert did..he misses a ball in open field and looks at his hands..man there has to be someone better than that to give money to.

So Dickson is the 45th highest paid TE, so he's about middle of the pack for a TE2.

But we need to find a TE that can step in for Olsen if he gets hurt.  Until then he can never miss a block, never drop a pass, and play special teams.  He should expect to receive 1-2 targets a week max.  All for around 2.5 mil. 

I'll keep my eyes open for that guy.

Reading between the lines from Voth, it sounds like what he's saying is any suggestion that the Panthers had serious interest in Barnidge came from Barnidge's agent, not the Panthers.

Agents lying about teams having interest in their clients is pretty standard practice. And a tight lipped organization like the Panthers makes an easy target because you can figure they won't say anything to contradict it.

Archived