• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will The Panthers Be Capable Of Making Playoffs?

KatsAzz

The Panthers are going to play heck trying to do anything about placing in the NFC South Division now. New Orleans is already 4-0 and Atlanta only 2 games back. Which makes the Panthers 4 games back,unless they win next week. And Washington was no pushover today.

4 games is 1/4 of the season and we'll be 4 games back and 2 behind Atlanta. Chances of making the playoffs are getting very slim even if we beat New Orleans twice(highly unlikely) and beat Atlanta here at home(unlikely again).

Reality is setting in quickly this year. If we had been making progress weekly and building on it we might have had some chance. But unless things really go bad for New Orleans or Atlanta , in my opinion,we're fated to being an also-ran this year.

Anyone have an explainable differing view?

I don't think the playoffs are out of reach. It is gonna take a helluva run to do it tho and will require beating both the ain'ts and fagcons.

I think we can. To me, this team doesn't look anything like the one from last year and it's mind boggling.

It's gonna take regrouping and reorganizing. It's also gonna take a healthy does of running the ball.

Giving the team the week off or whatever and not changing the gameplan (if there is one) ain't gonna get the job done tho!

But yes, to answer your question, I do think we've still got a shot to go to the playoffs.

We have 3 losses.

2 confrence losses

1 division loss

0-3 in confrence

Saints will in the South.

Atlanta will go 9-7 most likely

Bears/Vikings/GreenBay will have 8-8 or better records.

Giants are 4-0

Eagles can contend with McNabb I think

Niners win the worst division in Football by default.

2 more losses in Division play and we are out of it.

Then when we are 2-7 they will play worth a damn, get to 7-9 6-10 on some bullshit streak, Fox will keep his Job, I will go back to Drinking, Fiz wont be entertaining, and all we will have to do is wait for the 40th pick and listen to Zod vomit political bullshit all over us for a few months till we can return to pussy Football.

We have 3 losses.

2 confrence losses

1 division loss

0-3 in confrence

Saints will in the South.

Atlanta will go 9-7 most likely

Bears/Vikings/GreenBay will have 8-8 or better records.

Giants are 4-0

Eagles can contend with McNabb I think

Niners win the worst division in Football by default.

2 more losses in Division play and we are out of it.

Then when we are 2-7 they will play worth a damn, get to 7-9 6-10 on some bullshit streak, Fox will keep his Job, I will go back to Drinking, Fiz wont be entertaining, and all we will have to do is wait for the 40th pick and listen to Zod vomit political bullshit all over us for a few months till we can return to pussy Football.

How do you really feel?

For the Panthers to make the playoffs, odds are that they would need to make it to 9-7. Sometimes the number is 10-6 or even 11-5 or even 8-8 on the bad side, but the 6th team in the playoffs usually has a 9-7 record. That means that the Panthers, at minimum, it would have to go 9-4 for the rest of the season against the following teams:

WASHINGTON (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (0-4)

BUFFALO (1-3)

@ Arizona (1-2)

@ New Orleans (4-0)

ATLANTA (3-1)

MIAMI (1-3)

@ NY Jets (3-1)

TAMPA BAY (0-4)

@ New England (3-1)

MINNESOTA (3-0)

@ NY Giants (4-0)

NEW ORLEANS (4-0)

Those last four weeks are particularly brutal where the opponents have a combined record of 14-1 right now. Being incredibly, incredibly generous and assuming that we go 1-3 to end the season, we would have to 8-1 over our next nine games to make the playoffs. Can we go 8-1 against:

WASHINGTON (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (0-4)

BUFFALO (1-3)

@ Arizona (1-2)

@ New Orleans (4-0)

ATLANTA (3-1)

MIAMI (1-3)

@ NY Jets (3-1)

TAMPA BAY (0-4)

with the worst roster in John Fox history? Um, I don't see that happening.

And since 9-4 the rest of the way is basically the bare minimum needed to possibly make it, let's take a look at how many other times we've gone 9-4 or better under Fox in our final thirteen games of the season:

2008: 10-3 over our final thirteen

2007: 5-8

2006: 7-6

2005: 10-3

2004: 6-7

2003: 8-5

2002: 3-10

We've finished 9-4 or better in our final thirteen games a total of twice before under John Fox. We couldn't even pull that off the year we went to the Super Bowl. Our average under John Fox for our final thirteen is 7-6. So even if you assumed that our team was playing like an average John Fox team, our expected win/loss record at the end of the season would be 7-9 and out of the playoffs. If you add in the fact that we are a very bad team with a very difficult schedule late in the year, and you come up with the odds of the Panthers making the playoffs at somewhere between no chance and in hell.

Those last four weeks are particularly brutal where the opponents have a combined record of 14-1 right now. Being incredibly, incredibly generous and assuming that we go 1-3 to end the season, we would have to 8-1 over our next nine games to make the playoffs. Can we go 8-1 against:

WASHINGTON (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (0-4)

BUFFALO (1-3)

@ Arizona (1-2)

@ New Orleans (4-0)

ATLANTA (3-1)

MIAMI (1-3)

@ NY Jets (3-1)

TAMPA BAY (0-4)

with the worst roster in John Fox history? Um, I don't see that happening.

I could not agree more. The roster simply doesn't have the pieces to hold up to our remaining schedule. Too many guaranteed losses. I'm sticking with 5-11 or 6-10 as our most likely results.

Archived