• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video games are dead *rant*

Toolbox

25 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

What's so hard about making star wars like battlefield 1.. that was a good system. EA/DICE making it way more complex than it needs to be.

Yup.

I think I can get SWBF2 for like $38 from best buy after this deal they have (trade in one from a list of games, get $10 coupon off, use gamers club for $20 off as well, get a gift card for used game itself etc).      May be worth taking the shot and selling if I have a big issue from it.

19 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

Yeah for $38 it's not a bad deal.. probably would get your money back in trade-in.. The only game I am looking forward to now is monster hunter world and farcry 5

I'm going to play Monster Hunter beta when it drops.   I've never played it but it looks really cool.

2 minutes ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

So does the progression system in SWBF2 break the game? 

currently takes about 100 hours to max out a regular trooper class (and there are 4 of them, as well as second tier troops and vehicles that also have unlocks you need to get) and 40 hours just to unlock certain heroes to be able to play them (then grind even more to unlock their upgrades)

or you can spend a $100 or $200 on loot crates and skip all that

6 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

currently takes about 100 hours to max out a regular trooper class (and there are 4 of them, as well as second tier troops and vehicles that also have unlocks you need to get) and 40 hours just to unlock certain heroes to be able to play them (then grind even more to unlock their upgrades)

or you can spend a $100 or $200 on loot crates and skip all that

That sucks as this was one of the few games the wife and I would play online (taking turns on heroes vs villains). 

They've already said they're reducing the cost to unlock heroes for launch but that's not where the biggest issue is anyway. Also, I think the Heroes vs Villians mode will have everyone unlocked (though not 100% sure on that). 

The real problem and real grind is getting the card upgrades. Progression in that regard seems to be extremely slow. Of course this is intentional to temp players to spend real money on loot crates.

That, IMO, is the real problem with micro-transactions. I honestly don't care if someone spends a couple hundred bucks to get everything unlocked and has an advantage over me. Reason I don't care is because those people are rare (probably less than 2%) so I won't run into them very often, and it won't affect the gameplay very much.

The real problem with microtransactions is that it gives developers a monetary incentive to make the game worse. Introduce a huge grind to temp players to spend money. If the progression system was smooth and you unlocked things at a nice pace I wouldn't care about microtransactions being in the game. But if that was the case then players really wouldn't have much incentive to spend money, so devs naturally are pushed to making things more grindy and annoying on purpose. It just sucks from a players perspective but devs make huge amounts of money off MT so they aren't going away anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

They've already said they're reducing the cost to unlock heroes for launch but that's not where the biggest issue is anyway. Also, I think the Heroes vs Villians mode will have everyone unlocked (though not 100% sure on that). 

The real problem and real grind is getting the card upgrades. Progression in that regard seems to be extremely slow. Of course this is intentional to temp players to spend real money on loot crates.

That, IMO, is the real problem with micro-transactions. I honestly don't care if someone spends a couple hundred bucks to get everything unlocked and has an advantage over me. Reason I don't care is because those people are rare (probably less than 2%) so I won't run into them very often, and it won't affect the gameplay very much.

The real problem with microtransactions is that it gives developers a monetary incentive to make the game worse. Introduce a huge grind to temp players to spend money. If the progression system was smooth and you unlocked things at a nice pace I wouldn't care about microtransactions being in the game. But if that was the case then players really wouldn't have much incentive to spend money, so devs naturally are pushed to making things more grindy and annoying on purpose. It just sucks from a players perspective but devs make huge amounts of money off MT so they aren't going away anytime soon.

Same thing with shadow of war.. near the end of the game it turns into a grind to try to get people to buy orcs to keep their forts up.. it's all shady poo man. MT should only be for cosmetics and XP boosts not a way for you to shortcut the game or have an advantage over other players.

Just now, iamcline said:

This BF2 crap coupled with the Match Making patents that Activision and EA both have makes me feel terrible for the next generation of gamers.

Yup the entitlement mindset allows them to just ignore it until it blows up.. sad really.

Archived