• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2017 Defense - A couple of disappointing stats

Hotsauce

As good as the Defense has been this year, there are some stats that were surprising and disappointing to see. 

1) The panthers have forced only 6 takeaways in 7 games this year. 

5 forced fumbles total; Pep, Luke, Addison, Horton, and Short

1 interception....ONE!!!!!???!!!!; Luke

2) Charles Johnson is deadweight to this team. He has the same number of tackles this year as JStew and Damiere Byrd...2!!!

Its hard to ask the Defense to do more this year, as they have been performing at a very high level collectively, but the forced turnovers was super surprising. 

0E8B4516-62D1-4B05-87F5-1281156D856F.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Hotsauce said:

Its hard to ask the Defense to do more this year, as they have been performing at a very high level collectively, but the forced turnovers was super surprising. 

10 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Making a thread bashing the defense after yesterday is kind of silly.

18 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Making a thread bashing the defense after yesterday is kind of silly.

I wouldn't say he's bashing the defense. He is pointing out that the defense isn't taking the all away from the other team. All we have to do is look at the game yesterday and see how defensive takeaways can change the outcome of a football game. If Carolina doesn't turn the ball over against Chicago they probably would've won that game easily considering the defense only gave up a FG for the entire game.

Our backend doesn't make plays. Had we kept Norman we wouldn't have had to draft 3Cb's after the SB season, and only one of them (so far) appears to be a reliable NFL player. Pairing him with Bradberry would be much better than what we have now. Charles Johnson's truly on the backend of his career and probably shouldn't have been brought back unless it was as a backup. He's keeping one of our 2017 choices from seeing the field this season. Vernon Butler has had absolutely no impact. I'm still pulling for the guy, but so far it's like we didn't have a 1st round choice in the 2016 draft. Sad thing is, We did have a 1st round choice in 2016 and we passed on some good players to draft him.

Don't let the fact that one eye is blacker than the other fool you. This defense hasn't done anything other than bend to good QBs since the Saints. This defense has been so completely middle of the pack since the Bills game. 

wish I could find team PBU's somewhere. I see other teams make plays on the ball and I'm like wtf is that?

23 minutes ago, Admiral Ackbar said:

Our defense is not the problem. It could be better yes. But they haven’t lost us a game yet. The Saints game is the only game were  you could argue this but even then the offense put them in a bad spot with turnovers on our on side of the field. 

We escaped leads against Detroit and Pats with our offense putting it away. The defense also need to do what you said our offense problem is. Forced turnovers and put our offense in better field position and even score, something the 2015 defense could do.

As I pointed out in another thread, we are on pace to set a franchise low of forced turnovers. We can't completely absolve the defense when they also have not been creating opportunities for the offense. We can all agree the offense deserves the lion's share of the blame but it has hurt us to not be able to produce many takeaways.

Archived